New experimental feature: remote compilation - soon available...

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Many users who are new to Android development and to Basic4android encounter difficulties with the installation of Basic4android, Java JDK and especially Android SDK.

In order to make the process easier and "less painful" the trial version will soon support a new compilation mode named Remote Compilation. In this mode, Basic4android will not require Java JDK or Android SDK. Instead the compilation will be done by sending the generated code to a remote server that will compile the project and return the APK file. This is done automatically by the IDE.

B4A-Bridge will be used to communicate with a physical device.

Again the purpose of this mode is to allow new users to quickly try Basic4android. The "real" development will be done locally.

This solution has some limitations:
- Requires a real device connected with B4A-Bridge (over the local wireless network or Bluetooth). The emulator, which is part of Android SDK, is not supported as well as a real device connected with USB debugging.
- Limited to small projects without libraries (the trial version doesn't support libraries anyway).

fd95

Licensed User
Longtime User
Interesting feature! Any plan to port it to the full version? It could be useful to me if I want to continue coding an app and I have only someone else's computer. Thanks!

Upvote 0

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Although, being a full user, I have no use for the feature, I think it a very good idea. Well Done :wav:

Upvote 0

WizardOz

Licensed User
Longtime User
As a full user myself, I dont see me using this feature. But its a great feature to sell B4A with, so I put my thumbs up! :icon_clap:

On the other hand... This would be the first step towards a web-based IDE wouldnt it? Fire up the webbrowser, let the web-java-ide load, get the files from dropbox (witch would have to be intergrated) and let the servers do the work. Think about it! Making aps' as you go, with a pad or little airpc of sorts! :)

Upvote 0

Roger Garstang

Licensed User
Longtime User
For some reason when reading this headline in Twitter/Facebook my first thought was compiling on the handheld...darn. Does this mean there will be a beta/real release soon? I have a couple of the minor bugs in classes and such causing annoyances. Latest ones were the Activity Object not being available and comments not always appearing in the tooltips.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NeoTechni

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'd really prefer optional parameter support get added first, it would be vastly more beneficial to us

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'd really prefer optional parameter support get added first, it would be vastly more beneficial to us
This thread is about the remote compilation method. Other feature requests and bugs should be discussed in the Bugs / Wishlist forum.

This would be the first step towards a web-based IDE wouldnt it?
Remote compilation can in the future allow all kinds of interesting features (compile from the device, compile to different platforms, web IDE and probably other features). It is however much too soon to say where it will take us...

Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,
This is definitely an awesome feature (and far ahead of what other people are doing!)
Web-based compiling etc can be great. Maybe you can implement a subscription based pricing with this and add things like encryption, code analyzers etc.
However, what will really make the deal for me is that the physical device shouldnt need to be connected to the same network. If a remote compile will be able to send the apk to a device with B4A-Bridge running on a different network, then this will be beyond awesome.
Great work once again.

Upvote 0

GMan

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

i registred the full version, but can't find the COMPILE REMOTE Option ?! :sign0085:

\V/

Upvote 0

GMan

Licensed User
Longtime User
Mhm, i am not amused about that. :sign0148:
Why to install 2 full SDK's if it works Remotely very good.

Upvote 0

CidTek

Licensed User
Longtime User
It might be opened for larger projects in the future.

This would be great for those little proof of concept projects or function testing projects that pop into one's mind while sitting at a cafe without a full development machine with you. If this works for the non trial version then I'll install B4A onto my MacBook Air (using Parallels).

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,

This feature could be a great benefit for many people.. cloud compilation... but also for many users.. some have limited access to the Internet.. others need to compile their apps several times in a very shourt time after each debug, specially apps not supportede by google emulator.. yet others have to pay for the Internet banwidth.. etc. Besides a few people trust world routers with their hi-tech code (if any).
Saying this I don't mean I am againist the idea, but I excpect that the cloud will not replace local compilation at any time in the future.
regarding device compilation.. (IDE running on the device if I got it correctly), I firmly beleive this is an overdue idea.. after all the product name is Basic4Android, not Basic4Wibndows!! and it is only normal to develope and run on the same device or similar one.. Now I have Android 10.1" tab with 4.1, wich means I have a real computer with all the computing powers.. So why should I have two computers? Another point, you will spot any error on the fly, instead spending the midnight time devloping on Windows machine and then install it on Android device, only to discover this device doesn't support gps or whatever limiotation of the target device.
Please Erel, go ahead and port us all to Android.

Last edited:
Upvote 0