[new feature] App bundles

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
1614076659519.png

1614076636096.png

There aren't many gains for using app bundles (AAB) with B4A as most apps don't include many native (.so) libraries or Android resources, however it will soon be required by Google Play so it is a good time to add this feature.

The next version will include other important changes to the toolchain.

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yaaaay, I cant wait to test it.

Question: With the Build App bundle, does it include Obfuscation?

Also I want to suggest, it be added to Compilation Mode dropdown. Something like this

*Debug
*Release
*Release (Obfuscated)
*Release(App Bundle)
*Release(App Bundle with Obfuscation)

Last edited:

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yaaaay, I cant wait to test it.

Question: With the Build App bundle, does it include Obfuscation?

Also I want to suggest, it be added to Compilation Mode dropdown. Something like this

*Debug
*Release
*Release (Obfuscated)
*Release(App Bundle)
*Release(App Bundle with Obfuscation)

The app bundle is just a different way of "packaging" your app to upload it in the play store. I suppose there is no reason for not including obfuscation.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
View attachment 108598

View attachment 108597

There aren't many gains for using app bundles (AAB) with B4A as most apps don't include many native (.so) libraries or Android resources, however it will soon be required by Google Play so it is a good time to add this feature.

Will it be necessary or mandatory to create an App Bundle?

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Google is getting more and more complicated than Apple. I am considering making iOs my preferred working platform

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Creating an app bundle is a matter of a single click. It is true that it involves switching to Google signing feature which requires an additional step for the first time. Nothing too complicated.
Nothing complicated because we use B4X which simplifies things for us, otherwise it would not be so simple. 😒

MarcoRome

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
View attachment 108598

View attachment 108597

So if i understand correctly, the app will be compiled first
(Obfuscated or no) and then will the AAB package be created ?

D

Deleted member 103

View attachment 108598

View attachment 108597

I don't understand Google, what benefit should it bring?
Or is there any advantage at all?
In any case, I'm glad Erel is adding this implementation.

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Will the B4A IDE still generate the normal apk-file as usual?
Could be important if one distributes their apps outside of Google Play Store, for instance on a private server, by email ecc?

Inman

Licensed User
Longtime User
Nothing complicated because we use B4X which simplifies things for us, otherwise it would not be so simple. 😒

This is so true. A friend of mine recently started learning Android development via Flutter. He would occasionally call me with doubts like what is the command to generate key file or how to sign an apk with key and is there an easy way to push the signed apk to an actual device. I would say I really don't know because signing the apk and pushing to the device with B4A is just one click.