B4R Question New microcontroller board: Raspberry Pi Pico

raphaelcno

Licensed User
Longtime User
Will it be possible to use B4R with the new Raspberry Pi Pico microcontroller board?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-pico/

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/pico/getting-started/

pico-board-c87f938e4e889e9cbac0f5bc1ff27f30.png

raphaelcno

Licensed User
Longtime User
Even though "ESP32 Pico" is called "Pico", it does not contain the RP2040 chip as used on the Raspberry Pi Pico.
Of course ESP32 Pico may be used as an alternative product.

Upvote 0

raphaelcno

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, this first board has no wireless and Bluetooth, but I wouldn't be surprised to see new variants in the coming months.

Upvote 0

thetahsk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, this first board has no wireless and Bluetooth, but I wouldn't be surprised to see new variants in the coming months.
If someone prefer products from Raspberry than he can choose an Raspberry Pi Zero W for a few bugs.
  • BCM 2835 SOC @ 1GHz
  • 512MB RAM
  • On-board Wireless LAN - 2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g/n (BCM43438)
  • On-board Bluetooth 4.1 + HS Low-energy (BLE) (BCM43438)
  • micro-SD Slot
otherwise choose an ESP or STM32 . I don't see any real advantages with the Pico at the moment.

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
It is capable of getting programmed with C++ also, beside micropython (a bit different variant though from Arduino C++). The problem to use it in B4R is the uploading to the board and if it can be done "by pass" as it is done with Arduino.

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't think it's compatible with B4X. For Rasberry Erel suggest to use B4J , since normally it uses a distro of Linux and it contains a Java runtime. But this board supports no OS, so...

This is correct. But since it can be programmed with C++ as it is indicated in its site, @Erel already has knowledge of C++, and possibly he can create the "translation" from B4R to Raspberry Pico C++. Further more the Pico cannot run java since it is a microcontroller and not a one board computer. If @Erel can manage to create this "translation" then it is a matter of how easy it is to cooperate with the Raspberry IDE to compile and upload "by pass".

Edit: The most suitable case would be that the Arduino Environment would "adapt" the Pico and create themselves the translation, compilation and upload. But since they compete each other, this, is in the "dream" world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0