New Search Engine

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The online search engine was rewritten. This is really a state of the art engine based on the latest version of Lucene.

Some of the "under the hood" features that were not available before:
  • fuzzy queries - copes with typos.
  • boosting by recency, back links, poster and sub-forum
  • better parser
  • links to posts inside the results
There are many possible ways to fine tune this engine and improve it.

Your feedback is welcomed...

Reactions: eps

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Both the title and the post author are considered during a query.

Just write the author name and optionally other terms and it should find the requested posts.

Also, boosting by 'likes' might make sense in the new forum.
I completely agree. I will test it when this feature will be more widespread.

Ionut Indigo

Licensed User
Longtime User
I might be one of the 1% that find the search engine not very user friendly and much harder to find stuff (and not because this is a new change).
The design of the search results is not the same as the forum, and it's like jumping from site to site.
There has to be options for the search like Ordering the results, Search individual forums, find a thread between the date of X and Y, posted by Z member, has/hasn't have replies. A forum needs a forum search engine.
I understand that a lot of work has gone into perfecting the online search engine, but if XenForo has a build-in search engine, why not use it?
You can even disable it for non-registered/licensed users.

Ionut Indigo

Licensed User
Longtime User
If it can be change the search results page to look like the forum and not a different site, add the search options like Ordering the results, Search individual forums, find a thread between the date of X and Y, posted by Z member, has/hasn't have replies. The vB forum search was doing it right, the new one doesn't feel part of the forum/community and it's like searching for B4A results on Google.
I feel a little bit cheated, because the vB search isn't there and there is something new with no options, and it's like "we're gonna take this working forum search, and replacing with THIS. Deal with it!" For me now, searching is a pain in the you know what.
But like other sites that change stuff that no one asked for (Google, Facebook, Twitter), i will get used to the new changes, but i'll never stop cursing them!
;)

timsteeman

Licensed User
Longtime User
This was exactly what i meant yesterday. Search on a part of the Forum. You deleted an option, and i must see it as an improvement.
Is Basic4ppc.com taken over by Microsoft... :) Just kidding!

timsteeman

Licensed User
Longtime User
Dear Erel,
You are only reacting on how i things say, not on what i ask.
But i understood the message.

Ionut Indigo

Licensed User
Longtime User
I get this error. I can only view the thread by clicking on Go To First Post.

Attachments

• threderror.png
    threderror.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 229