Android Question New sub folder inside /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/package.name/files

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
When I use the following code:
B4X:
DirTest = rp.GetSafeDirDefaultExternal("Test")

it will create a folder "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/package.name/files/Test"

Everytime I want to create a new sub folder inside this folder, do I need to write?
B4X:
rp.CheckAndRequest(rp.PERMISSION_WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE)
rp.GetSafeDirDefaultExternal("Test/NewSubFolder")

Can't I just use?
B4X:
File.MakeDir(DirTest, "NewSubFolder")

Every time I need to check the permission to use RuntimePermissions (rp) in every Activity when creating new sub folder?
B4X:
rp.CheckAndRequest(rp.PERMISSION_WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE)

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
You don't need permissions for Android 4.4+:

- Colin.

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have to use External Storage because it is an old app developed 10 years ago by another company. For the past few years, I just maintain the app as freelance.

Recently I just updated it to support Android 14 which requires new targetSDK 23+.

I can't simply change the app because I am not clear what are the requirements when it was developed. Maybe the files are stored in external storage so users can view them from Android built-in "Files" Explorer app in case there is an issue uploading the files.

The issue occur when the app need to create subfolders based on a different id in runtime.

I just had a meeting at client site just now and convinced them that I would move the files to Internal storage.

After I changed the external storage on last month, there are a lot of issues with the app. I hope using Internal storage could solve all these issues.

Upvote 0

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
In practical terms there's virtually no difference between external & internal app-specific storage - except that external storage may not be available if it's on removable media. They are both deleted when the app is removed & neither of them require the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission to access.

I must have had similar issues to you in one of my apps at some stage (I can't remember exactly when/what) because I've written a function that checks for external app-specific external dirs & if it finds them, copies them to internal app-specific dirs, then deletes the external ones. I'm not having issues with internal storage, so maybe it'll fix your issues too.

- Colin.

Upvote 0
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…