New tool to categorize the libraries

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Informatix, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Informatix

Informatix Expert Licensed User

Hello,

I'm working on a new tool that allows to categorize any library posted in the Additional Libraries section. I hope that this tool will become the first organized list of user libraries (with links to the forum and demos that you can run inside the tool).

I'd like to have your opinion about the different categories. Categories have to be broad enough to encompass a variety of libs but not too much or they would be of no interest. Here's my first proposal (you're invited to improve the description too):
    Action Bars: Any bar that provides user actions and navigation through the app
    Animations: Anything able to animate a visual element
    Camera: Anything related to the device camera
    Communication: Anything related to networks or communication protocols
    Databases: Anything related to local or remote databases
    Dialogs: Anything displaying a message or requiring an input in a dedicated window
    Files: Anything doing the management/encryption/selection/etc. of files
    Games: Anything related to games
    Graphics: Anything that produces a graphical representation or processes images
    HTML & XML: Anything related to markup languages
    Input Controls: Any control allowing the user to input, select or change a value
    Lists: Listviews, gridviews, ordered data collections
    Menus: Any control offering a choice in a list
    Text: Anything that displays or processes text.

A library, of course, can belong to more than one category.

2. mlc

mlc Active Member Licensed User

Maybe Operating System ?

3. Informatix

What would be the description of this category ?
    What lib would you put under this category ?

4. mlc

5. Informatix

For the categories listed in my first post, I tried to find at least 3 libs that could match. Maybe that could be used as a rule to create a new category: at least 3 libs.
    Any lib without a specific category will end in the Miscellaneous category.

6. Cableguy

Cableguy Expert Licensed User

The Phone lib would be another... but you did precise "Aditional Libraries" and "List User Libraries".. so I guess official libs will be left out?

7. Informatix

If I had to create a category for the Phone library, it would be the "bloatware" category :)

Yes, the official libraries will be excluded. The name of my app could be "Hidden gems of the forum".

Cableguy likes this.
  8. inakigarm

inakigarm Well-Known Member Licensed User

Great idea , do you plan to categorize only b4a libs or include B4i & B4j libs?

And for the categories list, how about an audio and video lib category?

9. mlc

I have reviewed the libraries and i think it is the only one.

10. Informatix

The resulting app will be an APK so the list is mainly focused on B4A, but the database can be edited by the user so you can add any lib that you want or you can reuse the idea to provide a tool for B4i/B4j. I will provide the source on demand (however, it is very very simple).
    I will add a property for libs indicating whether they are compatible with other variants of B4.

Audio: of course !!! How I missed that !
    Video: at least 3 libs ?

Important note: this tool will never be an exhaustive list of all libraries because:
    - some libs have no example and my policy is to include only libs that can be tried in the app (chargeable libs will be included however, with no example if I don't own it);
    - some libs are replaced by a more complete version (e.g.: ABunzip by Archiver or Gestures by Gesture Detector);
    - some libs do not work any longer because of changes in the OS;
    - some libs are buggy and I don't want to lose my time with them.

RandomCoder and inakigarm like this.
  11. Informatix

I wonder whether there's not a lib by TheDesolateSoul that could go under this category? I can't remember the name nor what it does.

Cableguy likes this.
  12. mlc

Maybe this ?
    Custom Notification 1.0 - This library allows you to customize the look of your notification in the notification bar. It requires you to create the layout in an xml file. Note this library has been deprecated for Barx's library: Custom Notification v1.01

13. Informatix

No, it was about the system I think.
    Concerning notifications, how many libs do we have?

14. sorex

sorex Expert Licensed User

I requested a multilevel library treeview inside B4A once to organize things a little and to seperate the cores from the none cores,
    too bad it didn't make it to a final release yet as it could've saved you from all this work.

15. Informatix

I'm not sure that we talk of the same thing. My tool is meant to keep track of the libraries posted in the forum and to retrieve them when needed. The lack of organization in the forum makes this difficult. Look at the libraries posted recently. DonManfred did a lib that already exists (a label with HTML contents) because he was not aware of LabelExtras.
    My tool allows to try the library and see if it looks fine or works well on your devices.

JakeBullet70 likes this.
  16. sorex

oh like that :) yeah, that wiki like page has a lot of them but it's far from complete and finding something for a task can take a while when you don't know the right name of the lib.

my request was ordering them when you already have them on your system.

17. Informatix

Yes, it's a bit like the wiki page but you can flag your favorite libs, add the missing libs, try easily the libs, see at a glance what other libs do the same work, etc.

18. sorex

that would be a nice tool indeed, you could use reference links to simular libraries.

do you plan to add comments aswell? like that ABzip one that strips of the first or last filename letter that can be mentioned in the comments as warning. or a buggy flag.

19. Informatix

Here's the list of fields:
    Name
    Category1
    Category2
    Category3
    Category4
    Version
    Link
    Description
    IsFree
    WithJavaSource
    WithB4ASource
    IsCompatibleWithB4i
    IsCompatibleWithB4J
    Author
    Examples
    Favorite
    Comments

20. thedesolatesoul

thedesolatesoul Expert Licensed User

I think you mean THIS one. (Badly named, impossible to find!)
    Part of it doesnt work in Android 5 as google deprecated the methods for getRecentTasks and some others.
    As far as I am aware the rest of the library works well, although i havent tested it in a while.

I think you are building something similar to these (they may help you with more ideas):
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.desarrollodroide.repos
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inappsquared.devappsdirect

You can also add Hardware (NFC), Calendar/Contacts, ExternalAPIs (Dropbox/Flickr/Twitter/FB)

Just wondering, what tools are you building this in? And what is the motivation behind it? (Personal or interests?)[/URL]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice