Licensed User
Longtime User

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think you mean THIS one.
Yes!
Indeed. I know and use both. DevAppsDirect seems to be no longer maintained.

You can also add Hardware (NFC), Calendar/Contacts, ExternalAPIs (Dropbox/Flickr/Twitter/FB)
I'm open to any suggestion of a new category, but to justify it, it is better if there are a few libs to put under. If there's only one Calendar library, I prefer to put it in the Miscellaneous category.
I add External API.

Just wondering, what tools are you building this in? And what is the motivation behind it? (Personal or interests?)
I want to do an useful tool for everyone, including me.

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
Field iscompatiblewithb4A for libs that are only compatible for B4A ? (If not, how can we query for a B4i or B4J only lib on DB ?)
Field isdonationware?

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Field iscompatiblewithb4A for libs that are only compatible for B4A ? (If not, how can we query for a B4i or B4J only lib on DB ?)
For now, I don't think it's a good idea to have a common repository for all B4x libs because you cannot run the B4i or B4J examples on your Android devices. So my tool is devoted to B4A libs (but some of these libs can be used with the other variants).
Field isdonationware?
My lib Steering Behaviors has two entries in the current database. One with IsFree=True, Version=1.1, and another with IsFree=False, Version=2.1 and examples not compilable with the free version. Thus, what you can do with each version is more clear.

I will send in a day or two the current version of my project so everybody will have a better idea about it. Note that this tool has to become your tool too, so the next step is to think how to share the database entries (because I won't update the DB with all the new libs). A common database on a server with a front end to update it ?

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ah, I missed that one too:
Ads
..and In App purchases

I will send in a day or two the current version of my project so everybody will have a better idea about it. Note that this tool has to become your tool too, so the next step is to think how to share the database entries (because I won't update the DB with all the new libs). A common database on a server with a front end to update it ?
There has been some talk about this in the past as well, to create a common library repository. It would be nice though to have a proper front end for the DB. And even allow viewing and filtering.

I am also wondering how you intend to package the samples in the apk? Will you put the apks within it, or will it have a link to the apk to be downloaded? (one of the apps on the playstore somehow runs the sample within it own app, something i havent managed to understand)

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Since you have added "Ads" the category list looks quite complete for me.

Suggestions for additional fields:

minSDKVersion - for the minimum SDK version needed for the library
minB4AVersion - for minimum B4A version the library works with.

Perhaps a field for DependsOn if the library depends on other libraries? But I think this is not very important.

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
..and In App purchases

There has been some talk about this in the past as well, to create a common library repository. It would be nice though to have a proper front end for the DB. And even allow viewing and filtering.

I am also wondering how you intend to package the samples in the apk? Will you put the apks within it, or will it have a link to the apk to be downloaded? (one of the apps on the playstore somehow runs the sample within it own app, something i havent managed to understand)
I copy all the example code in the app. That only requires a few minor changes (to avoid exiting the app, to avoid calls to the "main" sub, etc.).
The assets will be available as a separate file.

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Good suggestions. Added.

Just thought about the minB4AVersion and I think it is not really that important because the latest B4A version should be used always?

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Last night I fucked up. Instead of transferring my code from the B4A folder to the Backup folder, I did the opposite. So I replaced my code and my database with the first version of my application (empty base, a few lines of code). Everything must be done again. I'm really discouraged. :(

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ouch, that hurts.

On the other hand, in my experience (I lost about a third of my source in a big disk crash, probably over a million lines), writing it again is both much easier, faster and produces much better code. All problems are already solved, you have a much better idea of what you are building, you have churned the problem in your head for longer. So, have courage, it's not as bad as it looks.

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Last night I fucked up. Instead of transferring my code from the B4A folder to the Backup folder

Damn, I'm sure we've all been there (at least once), can't say much more, just empathizing :) .

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Last night I fucked up. Instead of transferring my code from the B4A folder to the Backup folder, I did the opposite. So I replaced my code and my database with the first version of my application (empty base, a few lines of code). Everything must be done again. I'm really discouraged. :(
I'm sorry to hear that @Informatix :mad:, but don't you use some sort of one way backup system that would stop this from happening???

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm sorry to hear that @Informatix :mad:, but don't you use some sort of one way backup system that would stop this from happening???
I copy the files by dragging them from a folder to another. There's no software. I don't need a software to do that. Usually, I pay attention to what I do. Last night, I did things too quickly and did not notice that I had inverted the two windows.
80% of the code is already rewritten (it's very simple code), but the main problem is the database. Thanks to the first post of this thread, I was able to recreate all the categories, but I'm too discouraged to refill the libraries table.

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm sure that you will get it all sorted @Informatix.
The main reason why I use software is exactly because of what you've done. I can see myself dragging and dropping the incorrect files from one folder(backup) to another(main) by accident and that would really annoy the hell out of me, so goodness knows how you must be feeling right now.

I've seen lots of my customers do exactly what you've done and lost extremely important work. All I say to them is to setup sync software.

Ain't life crap at times...

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm sure that you will get it all sorted @Informatix.
The main reason why I use software is exactly because of what you've done. I can see myself dragging and dropping the incorrect files from one folder(backup) to another(main) by accident and that would really annoy the hell out of me, so goodness knows how you must be feeling right now.

I've seen lots of my customers do exactly what you've done and lost extremely important work. All I say to them is to setup sync software.

Ain't life crap at times...
I use FolderSync to transfer my files from my NAS to my phone and from my phone to my desktop at the office. But as I probably wanted to win a stupidity contest, I started this duplication without checking anything, so this morning all copies (personal PC, NAS, phone, professional PC) were the same. Usually, I compare versions with a diff to remind me the changes I made. This error cannot happen most of the time. But I decided this time to put me in trouble and to be the moron of the day.

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
I copy the files by dragging them from a folder to another. There's no software. I don't need a software to do that. Usually, I pay attention to what I do. Last night, I did things too quickly and did not notice that I had inverted the two windows.

That's why I make batch files for such things. Batch files and robocopy are all the tools I need for backups, safe, simple and efficient.