New tool to categorize the libraries

eurojam

Licensed User
Longtime User
for me a spatial category would be important: for all the spatial stuff like geocoding, googlemaps, osm, geodesic....

freedom2000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I enjoy everything relzted to "internet of things".
To open to real world we need :
communication (USB, Serial, Wifi, Network...)
GPS, location, camera ...
Missing in the list : sensors ?

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good idea. Chances are also that libraries fit several categories (for example, sensors/GPS would overlap with navigation/maps), so perhaps some tagging system or multiple categories would be needed. That will be clear once one starts to try to categorize data, though.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have someone talking in my head who is missing a "Views"-Category to represent new View which does not fit in other categories.
For example my IconButton lib... i would not know in which category i should do. Graphics? For a button?

Anyway i really like the idea for this tool and i´ll watch out for the release :)

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'd have thought that 'Input Controls' section would have been more preferable for your IconButton lib?

Last edited:

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Here's the first version of the tool called LibList:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-kneWWcCy7PYUlPYzV5NFpybTQ/view?usp=sharing
Currently, the database contains only my own libraries/classes (and 150 examples!).

To do:
- Add other libraries to the database
- Include examples for these libraries
- Implement a search function
- Save the comments to the user DB (in this version, the field is there but its contents is not saved)

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The tool uses two databases: a reference database stored in the Assets folder and a user database stored in the LibList folder of your external storage folder. The user database contains two extra fields: Favorite and Comments.

Here's a copy of the database provided with the first version.

What would be nice:
- store the DB on a server;
- create a front end in PHP to let people add new libraries.

Attachments

• libbase.zip
    4.8 KB · Views: 187

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What would be nice:
- store the DB on a server;
- create a front end in PHP to let people add new libraries.

I can provide (and would be pleased to do so) webspace on my webhosting if you like (and maybe don´t even have an Webhosting). For this project i´ll spend the Space for free. The tool can use a subdomain of "basic4android.de" (i own this one).
My Webhosting can also hold a MySQL Database to store the data. PHP is available too

Only IF YOU LIKE for sure!

Last edited:

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I can provide webspace on my webhosting if you like (and maybe don´t even have an Webhosting). For this project i´ll spend the Space for free. The tool can use a subdomain of "basic4android.de" (i own this one).
My Webhosting can also hold a MySQL Database to store the data. PHP is available too

Only IF YOU LIKE for sure!
I'm open to any suggestion, but I don't think I will contribute to this part. I'm currently working on a new game (with a professional level designer) and I don't think I will have spare time for the weeks to come. I'll be glad to include the updated database in the tool and recompile the tool as often as needed, of course.

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
You have done an impressive job !

It's excellent for showing the libraries and his effects but is complex to maintain & operate

What I would like is a mix with your approach and a IDE B4x integration; the libraries list are in the forum and it will be not much difficult to (maybe a little work):

- design an Db approach (SQLite,MySQL)
- create tags for existing libraries
- Integrate as an option menu with the actual IDE (search by tag,etc)
- download libraries files from IDE

As the library repository already exists, integrate this work will be an improvement of B4x product

I think that this kind of integration has to be done by Anywhere software (with the forum users helping if desired) or redesigning the IDE to programming extensions like this

Otherwise, what an excellent work !!

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
but is complex to maintain & operate

You just have to fill a database. If the database is outdated, it does not matter, because the goal is not to keep track of the latest version of each library, but to be a showcase; it's very similar to the popular app "Libraries for developpers". With a showcase, you can easily see if the library works on your device or with a specific OS, and you can see whether it suits your needs.

The only technical thing to do here is to include examples in the application and I'm the only one concerned.
Note that I'm against a tool that would include automatically all libraries from the forum because some libraries do not work very well for various reasons. IMO, only tested and approved libs should be in the database. If I run an example and this example does not work, for any reason, I will remove the entry from the DB without hesitation. We don't have time to lose with buggy code, whatever may be the noble intention behind.

To update the database, we need first that someone develop a front-end for it, then that people add records for the libs they created or use, and as I see things now, I'm pessimistic. It looks like my project is going to be a dead project if I don't do things myself. Unfortunately, I don't have time for that.

imbault

Licensed User
Longtime User
Here's the first version of the tool called LibList:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-kneWWcCy7PYUlPYzV5NFpybTQ/view?usp=sharing
Currently, the database contains only my own libraries/classes (and 150 examples!).

To do:
- Add other libraries to the database
- Include examples for these libraries
- Implement a search function
- Save the comments to the user DB (in this version, the field is there but its contents is not saved)

Hi @Informatix, good idea, can you provide source code of your tool?
Patrick

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
To update the database, we need first that someone develop a front-end for it, then that people add records for the libs they created or use, and as I see things now, I'm pessimistic. It looks like my project is going to be a dead project if I don't do things myself. Unfortunately, I don't have time for that.
This is exactly the problem with such solutions. Who will update the database three years from now?

The libraries are already listed in a single place. Here:
Additional libraries, classes and official updates

The search engine is tuned to find libraries. The search engine is the key here.