Niche apps - what is the best monetization strategy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cableguy, Jan 26, 2015.

?

Best Niche Monetizing Strategy

1. AdNetwork only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. DonationWare

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sell fixed price

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Mix

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cableguy

Cableguy Expert Licensed User

Hi guys

I'm looking for your insight in this matter.

Consider a niche app, meaning an average of 1000 to 1500 users/downloads and about 2000 at best.

What is the best monetizing strategy?

- Base it in AdNnetworks, which I personally use but find it annoying as user, thus I don't throw tons of ads to my users.
    - Make it DonationWare, with a few extras for donators.
    - Sell the app, thus making the target user even more narrow

Last, but not least...
    - Use a mix of the above, having a free limited version based in AdNetwork and a paid/donation full spec version.

2. thedesolatesoul

thedesolatesoul Expert Licensed User

Be aware that 'donations' dont adhere to google policy.
    For such a low download count Ads are useless.
    I would say in-app purchase. If there are more unlockables leave some stuff unlocked for people to try.
    If its niche and people need it they would buy it.

EDIT: The stance of google to donations is ambiguous. Apps have been pulled for adding donation links. but many arent. Also, these donations are subject to tax + google fees unless you have some tax exempt certificate.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    NJDude likes this.
  3. NJDude

NJDude Expert Licensed User

You forgot one option in your poll: Luck.

thedesolatesoul likes this.
  4. Cableguy

In-app billing puzzles me... Not exactly sure how that works nor how to implement it.

On the extras side, yeah, I have one or two in mind... But will they justify buying my app!? I just don't know.
    They another problem arises... How do you establish a value to your app?

5. thedesolatesoul

Sadly the value of apps is very low these days. I guess you ask yourself some questions like, does it add value to your life? does it save you time? how many times do you use it a day? does it save you time/effort/money? does it entertain you?
    Some people will evaluate it according to the dev time/cost vs the size of the market.

6. Cableguy

Donation wise I was thinking about an external mechanism, away from Google. Something like donating through PayPal, after which the user would receive a personalized apk.

7. thedesolatesoul

Ok, so you mean the distribution mechanism isnt on the Play Store.
    That can work.

8. Cableguy

Well, its meant to be an IOIO tool, thus very low utilisation freq./user... But, as every target specific tool, its mean to help/save time to the user And so it may be worth the cost.

9. Cableguy

The "basic" app would be, but the full version would be passed "by hand" sort of speak.

10. RandomCoder

RandomCoder Well-Known Member Licensed User

I don't know if this is even possible so hopefully someone else will chime in that has more experience than me, but what about a time limited version? The thought being that you can maximise on the number of uses willing to test your app as they get the full app for the period of a month (just long enough for them to familiarise themselves with all of its features and for it to become a valuable tool). Then after the trial period they are forced to pay for the app or it stops working. For such a niche product I think that this might work quite well, but I don't know if the mechanism exists within the Google Play Store to do such a thing?

wonder and Cableguy like this.
  11. wonder

wonder Expert Licensed User

I believe it depends on the app. Here are some examples I thought of:

Professional Tools / Niche Market App / Utilities / Single Player Game:
    Sell it at a high-price

Social / News / Stock Market / Fitness / Mini-Game:
    Ad networks

Multiplayer Games / RPG / Fantasy / Social / Collectible Card:
    In-app purchases

ilan and RandomCoder like this.
  12. ilan

ilan Expert Licensed User

as wonder allready mentioned it depends on the app

* if the app is an app that is in daily use then u can put some ads in it

* if its a game my opinion is to give it for free without any ads so if people like it they will keep it in their phones and u can make some money with InApp purchases

* if its a tool put a limited free version (without ads) and a full version for sale >=1.99$...

Good Luck! :)

WAZUMBi, wonder and Cableguy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice