iOS Question NSBluetoothAlwaysUsageDescription - Missing Purpose String in Info.plist

yiankos1

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello friends,
I tried to upload my app at iStore but i recieved this mail back
ITMS-90683: Missing Purpose String in Info.plist - Your app's code references one or more APIs that access sensitive user data. The app's Info.plist file should contain a NSBluetoothAlwaysUsageDescription key with a user-facing purpose string explaining clearly and completely why your app needs the data. Starting Spring 2019, all apps submitted to the App Store that access user data are required to include a purpose string. If you're using external libraries or SDKs, they may reference APIs that require a purpose string. While your app might not use these APIs, a purpose string is still required. You can contact the developer of the library or SDK and request they release a version of their code that doesn't contain the APIs. Learn more (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/core_app/protecting_the_user_s_privacy).
My app DOES NOT use Bluetooth at all. Here are libs that i use:
libs.jpg

Do you think is from iPhone lib? I use this lib for two reasons: to open a pdf file and send a mail.
Thank you for your time.

p.s. My previous iStore upload (about 8 months ago) with exactly same libs, didn't send me this mail.
p.s.1 As i see HERE something changed at iOS 13

Last edited:

yiankos1

Licensed User
Longtime User
The user will never see that description so you don't need to worry about it too much. The description only appears when the relevant permission is requested.
So the string explaining will be about which lib? And what am i supposed to write?

Upvote 0

Brandsum

Licensed User
Hello friends,
I tried to upload my app at iStore but i recieved this mail back

My app DOES NOT use Bluetooth at all. Here are libs that i use:
View attachment 83997
Do you think is from iPhone lib? I use this lib for two reasons: to open a pdf file and send a mail.
Thank you for your time.

p.s. My previous iStore upload (about 8 months ago) with exactly same libs, didn't send me this mail.
p.s.1 As i see HERE something changed at iOS 13
I got the same error today while updating an app. I thought it was for the iBLE lib. But as per your screenshot its clear that it wasn't the lib but something else.

Upvote 0

yiankos1

Licensed User
Longtime User
I got the same error today while updating an app. I thought it was for the iBLE lib. But as per your screenshot its clear that it wasn't the lib but something else.
The problem is that if we state something random about bluetooth, then Apple Rejection is in our pocket at anytime...

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can release it with a generic description. It will be surprising if it will cause the binary to be rejected. Nothing bad will happen if the binary will be rejected. You will return to the current point.

I'm sure that we will soon get more information about this (if it is indeed related to one of the internal libraries).

Upvote 0

yiankos1

Licensed User
Longtime User
I assume that you received this email after you uploaded the build and you haven't submitted it to review, right?
Exactly! I can forward mail if this could help. So, if I contrast my libs and yours, I think that would be another lib. Maybe admob or Firebase analytics? If you want, I can send you whole project privately.

Upvote 0

David Meier

Licensed User
Longtime User
I got the same error, when updating my app yesterday. Happily I saw this thread and did accordingly. I added:
B4X:
    #PlistExtra: <key>NSBluetoothAlwaysUsageDescription</key><string>Used to integrate gmap framework.</string>
I could so upload the app without errors and I submit the update for reviewing. Now I am waiting for the ok from the reviewing team. I keep you updated.
Thx for everybody contributing in the above posts!
Cheers David

Upvote 0

David Meier

Licensed User
Longtime User
I got the same error, when updating my app yesterday. Happily I saw this thread and did accordingly. I added:
B4X:
    #PlistExtra: <key>NSBluetoothAlwaysUsageDescription</key><string>Used to integrate gmap framework.</string>
I could so upload the app without errors and I submit the update for reviewing. Now I am waiting for the ok from the reviewing team. I keep you updated.
Thx for everybody contributing in the above posts!
Cheers David

My App update got approved! So it is working with the above mentioned practice.
Regards
David

Upvote 0

angel_

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have the same problem, but I am not using bluetooth.

upload_2019-9-20_18-37-10.png

upload_2019-9-20_18-36-6.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-20_18-35-55.png
    upload_2019-9-20_18-35-55.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 218
Upvote 0

Andrew (Digitwell)

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yup, same here. Thanks for the tip. Any idea which library is causing this?

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-20_18-50-56.png
    upload_2019-9-20_18-50-56.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 231
Upvote 0