One month into new job

Lahksman

Licensed User
Longtime User
After working for the same company for 11 years I decided it was time for something new.
So about 1 month ago I changed jobs.

In my old job I used to give support, perform installations, create/edit lay-outs, etc... but almost always from our main office.
Now I have a lot more freedom but also a lot more responsibility's. One of my main tasks is creating custom code for my customers and I must say that I love doing this. I see this as a big step towards being a professional programmer (although I'm not there yet).

We use a c# like scripting language which is custom made for the application I work for so i'ts a bit of a learning curve seeing I'm used to develop in BASIC environments (especially the case sensitivity is giving me the occasional headache :D).

But in the end I'm glad I took the risc and I can only advise you all to do the same thing if you feel like it's time for a change. Don't be scared of taking the leap, I know it's scary giving up a steady job if you have a family to provide for and a mortgage to pay off.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
After working for the same company for 11 years I decided it was time for something new.
So about 1 month ago I changed jobs.

In my old job I used to give support, perform installations, create/edit lay-outs, etc... but almost always from our main office.
Now I have a lot more freedom but also a lot more responsibility's. One of my main tasks is creating custom code for my customers and I must say that I love doing this. I see this as a big step towards being a professional programmer (although I'm not there yet).

We use a c# like scripting language which is custom made for the application I work for so i'ts a bit of a learning curve seeing I'm used to develop in BASIC environments (especially the case sensitivity is giving me the occasional headache :D).

But in the end I'm glad I took the risc and I can only advise you all to do the same thing if you feel like it's time for a change. Don't be scared of taking the leap, I know it's scary giving up a steady job if you have a family to provide for and a mortgage to pay off.
If in the previous company they are still looking for a substitute, please make my name, so I can make the loan myself. Then in 11 years we think :p
Maybe I'll make a mortgage for 10 years. :D

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Too late I'm afraid, I already trained my substitute the last 2 months :).
Of course I was joking, in Italy it is better to be unemployed:p