iOS Question OTA then crash

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all.
I was in the hope to test my app on my iPhoneX prior to try the publishing route.
Well, once everything reaches its final destination (my phone), launching the app it crashes immediately. I see it blinking for a fraction of a second then nothing.
Its Android counterpart (it's a B4XPages project) works well, so I suspect taht somenthing is wrong with the certificates. But it could be anything else.

So far, my procedure was the following:
1. in Apple Developer account created Devices, Identifier, Certificate and Profile as indicated below a 1a-c
1.a Devices - my phone's UDID registered in this section
1.b Identifier - Wildcard - exact app name domain (as shown in Project-Build Configuration) followed by dot asterisk. In my case is ch.mnog.*
1.c Certificate - new MM30 certificate
1.d Profiles - Ad-Hoc profile linked to Device, MM30 and wildcard identifier above
2. in program Main set both #CertificateFile and #ProvisionFile according to 1c/1d above
3. Tools\Build Server\Build Release app (message: Application compiled with non-store provision profile.)
4. Tools\Build Server\Download Last build (message: IPA file saved in the Objects folder)
5. OTA
5.a Account Id: my Host Builder account
5.b IPA file from 5 above
5.c Package name: exact app name as registered in Project\Build Configuration
5.d Success: itms-services://....
6 Mail the link to the iPhoneX
7. Open the mail, select text, copy then paste in Safari browser.
7.a Procced with installation
7.b App icon shows on the device
8 Launch the app. Crash. The app immediately closes itself.

Well, clearly Apple and I don't understand each other. Hours and days just for the privilege to enroll as a Developer. Tons of documentation. Info scattered on three sites (at least, so far I found three of them: AppleID, AppleDeveloper, Apple Store Connect). And now I am unable to see MY app on MY own phone.
B4x ecosystem (language,tools, forum) is fantastic as always and it helps a lot to hide the intricacies and complexities the store guys invented. Maybe I have only to wait for a new release where a magic wand will do everything for me...

Where is the question? Well, it's here, short and simple: what's wrong? whwre should I look at?

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
You dont need to use OTA deployer to test the application on your own device which you added its UDID to your provision profile.
With the IDE connected to the phone through B4i Bridge, Run the Application in release mode

Tools-Build server - Build Release App

With the App crashing, does it happen in debug mode? if yes whats the error log saying

Upvote 0

MarcoRome

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
OTA it's just for distributing the app to the "chosen few", as read above you can just compile locally on your iphone/ipad

Upvote 0

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
OTA it's just for distributing the app to the "chosen few", as read above you can just compile locally on your iphone/ipad
Then you need to add the UDID of the chosen few devices to your device list,
Edit your provision profile to include their devices,
Download the new provision and compile with it in Release mode
You can now use the OTA deployer

Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you both.
That (post#4) is what I did so far. Currently in the UDID list there's only my phone, but I am expected to add a few others there.
This is why I chose the OTA way over B4i-Bridge.

Do you think I have (as a preliminary step) follow the B4i-Bridge route? At least to be able to start in debug mode?
I find strange that the same code in Android works correctly. Fundamentaly I had to recreate the layouts (which use only B4x labaelede items).
Anyway, let's see what happen. Thank you again

Upvote 0