B4R Question Parse GPS time..

tigrot

Licensed User
Longtime User
Of course. It's a simple reading the string and scan it, separating each element using the comma separator. Each kind of message has a format. You can google the format(the first element in the row). Latitude and longitude generally are expressed in decimal format, so you must convert to sexagesimal format, which is the usual format.

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sexagesimal format is grade, minutes,seconds. NMEA is espressed in grade and decimal fraction.

I remember the Motorola 6809 cpu had SEX in its instruction set. It meant Sign Extended. But that command disappeared in its successor the 68000. Maybe they decided to be more decent.

Upvote 0

tigrot

Licensed User
Longtime User
I started to study IT in 1972 the year after Intel 4004 release. In 1974 I was working in Panini's stickers company, a world wide company. I've never used assembly with 6809. Maybe binary format was unpopular so they introduced SEX instruction;):), a little ambiguous word.

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm reading that SEX has nothing to do with sexagesimal, it's Sign EXtend. Working with register sign. Sexagesimal comes from latin word SEXAGINTA which means sixty.

Yes I know that and already noted SEX at that remote time was for sign extended.
Assembly language was cryptic and hard to program with.. So I think Motorola put the SEX instruction to give programmers a little energy and motivation.. : )
I programmed Zilog Z80 and was exited to use the DJNZ instruction (Decrement and Jump if Not equal to Zero)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I started to study IT in 1972 the year after Intel 4004 release. In 1974 I was working in Panini's stickers company, a world wide company. I've never used assembly with 6809. Maybe binary format was unpopular so they introduced SEX instruction;):), a little ambiguous word.

I also didn't use the MC6809 in real design, but read about it and the instructions added to the 6802, one of them was the SEX instruction (All capital)
What I liked in the Z80 is that, data and address were separate pins (0 to 7, and 0 to 15 respectively) , while in MC6802 some data and address lines share .
the same pins. (multiplexed) so you needed to design hardware and software logic to solve this.

Upvote 0