PC optimization software ?

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
Eboostr seems very interesting (it does more or less what I do myself with small utilities). Will give a try.
Yes that's the reason why did I talked about (but I didn't want to make adv) : using the SD card, I really felt the "speed gain" of having a large cache on a specific device. But if you have you own tools, and if they run well, I am ready to test them too :)

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Informatix : weird issues, I use XP aswell on the desktop and laptop and believe me these are far from modern devices. ;)

One is a Dell Dimension 4550 from 2001 or 2002 (http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-dimension-4550-pentium-4-2-66ghz-256mb-ram-60gb-hdd-xp-home/)
and the other is a cheap Packard Bell netbook (http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/laptops/50112/packard-bell-dot-s-dot-s-018-review/specifications)

The last one is the worst but easy to use when sitting in front of tv.
When firefox is open it already takes longer to compile than when it is not open :)

BUT

I don't experience the slowness you talk about. Only the first compile when I open B4A can be slow, the others go faster.

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Informatix : weird issues, I use XP aswell on the desktop and laptop and believe me these are far from modern devices. ;)

One is a Dell Dimension 4550 from 2001 or 2002 (http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-dimension-4550-pentium-4-2-66ghz-256mb-ram-60gb-hdd-xp-home/)
and the other is a cheap Packard Bell netbook (http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/laptops/50112/packard-bell-dot-s-dot-s-018-review/specifications)

The last one is the worst but easy to use when sitting in front of tv.
When firefox is open it already takes longer to compile than when it is not open :)

BUT

I don't experience the slowness you talk about. Only the first compile when I open B4A can be slow, the others go faster.
As I said, I experience this slowness only with my current project because it is very big (over 10000 lines of code, 15 MB of images, 3 MB of sounds, for a final APK over 25 MB). I have no problem at all with other projects.

When firefox is open it already takes longer to compile than when it is not open

Same problem with Chrome but the problem is that I cannot close Chrome at work because I use it to work.

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
But if you have you own tools, and if they run well, I am ready to test them too :)

It's not my own tools, they are freely available on internet but I use them for a specific purpose which is probably of no interest to you. My goal, on my powerful PC at home, is to use the 11 GB of memory at their best, not for development, but for music. I have installed Seven 32 bits because my music hardware is now a bit old and I don't have a 64 bits driver for everything, so I'm stuck with a 32 bits OS and its memory limitation. Unfortunately, the VST plugins of my sequencer software are memory hungry and I need more than 3 GB to have a good user experience. So I use tools to unlock the PAE management of Seven to get access to the memory over the 3 GB frontier, to load my VST plugins in separate memory spaces, to create a cache to limit the number of disk accesses (that can sound strange but caching the swap file, for example, can be a good idea in my case), etc.

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think like Randomcoder: don't choose hybrid HD but SSD HD. Maybe the B4x gain can be small but overall system gain will be important (expecting your NB have SATA3 interface)

And one question: do you need a 1 Tb SSD HD really? I'd look for a small SSD for OS and programs and standard HD (internal-external for media)

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
do you need a 1 Tb SSD HD really
Hello,
I do thank you for confirming Randomcoder's advice. I have already ordered the SSD. Yes, in fact I do need such a large disk space. When you sum the amount of space I have to carry with me : the software of course but many graphical components (icons etc.), customers documents of the opened projects and others, code snipets, many apks, many exe, SDK and so on...
In fact, I am filling about 500 MB in six months :) and I do use some NAS for my backups

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,
I do thank you for confirming Randomcoder's advice. I have already ordered the SSD. Yes, in fact I do need such a large disk space. When you sum the amount of space I have to carry with me : the software of course but many graphical components (icons etc.), customers documents of the opened projects and others, code snipets, many apks, many exe, SDK and so on...
In fact, I am filling about 500 MB in six months :) and I do use some NAS for my backups
But do you need all the 1TB in fast media? I have a 120GB SSD and 1TB normal HDD. OS+Programs on SSD, Data on HDD.
Ofcourse if money isnt an issue then 1TB is great :)

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
But do you need all the 1TB in fast media?
It is for having all in the same place : the most difficult thing for a girl is to remember where things are stored ;)
I frequently go to a customer's office to discuss something and in the same time can fix instantly some others not planned. So, the money is not the issue as a working machine. Imagine the money already invested on that "office machine".
But the most important thing for me is its speed and I am really closed to what I need. Waiting for my SSD delivery and I think all will be good

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
you have mixtures aswell.

a minor part of the disk is SSD and used for the booting of the OS and most used programs, the rest old fashioned mass storage.

Should be cheaper than a full TB SSD.

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
A quick follow up : I have received my SSD yesterday and installed it this morning. For any guy wanting to really speed up his system, this is the right direction to go instead of any "magical software".
I have kept the eboostr too instead of using ReadyBoost. Because with this software, I am able to use an external device to have a big and permanent cache (16 GB on SDHC class 10).
And finally to be able to tweak easily without having to scout the web reading for any solution, I have bought Windows 8 Manager which is a software that I can use to change many settings, registry keys, etc.

Now, I am able to have a system up and running (all tasks ran) in 12 seconds and B4A starts in 8 seconds. Happy is the word :)