B4J Question Performance problem with SQLite

Alessandro71

Licensed User
Longtime User
while investigating on slow response time, I tracked down the issue to this code section

B4X:
Dim entries As List
entries.Initialize

WriteLog("query start")
Dim rs As ResultSet = DB.ExecQuery2("SELECT DISTINCT carvaluename FROM carvalues WHERE timestamp>=? AND timestamp<=? ORDER BY carvaluename", Array As String(starttimestamp, endtimestamp))
WriteLog("query end")
Do While rs.NextRow
    WriteLog("add record")
    entries.Add(rs.GetString("carvaluename"))
Loop
rs.Close

the first 2 log messagest ("query start" and "query end") are printed in less than a second, while the "add record" lines come rather slowly, about 1 sec apart one another
the whole While loop ends in about 20 seconds, with no noticeable difference between Debug and Release mode

the query returns 21 records from a table (actually a view) with 300000 lines
the same query, when performed in "DB Browser for SQLite" takes about 900ms

from the elapsed time, it looks like every NextRecord call just performs the whole query again

i already run ANALYZE and PRAGMA optimize on the DB with no effect

am i missing something?

Solution
as a followup, I solved this by rewriting the query as follows
SQL:
SELECT carvaluename from (SELECT DISTINCT carvalueid as id FROM carvaluevalues WHERE timestamp>=? AND timestamp<=?) JOIN carvaluenames on id=carvaluenames.carvalueid ORDER by carvaluename
same result, but lightning fast now

Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If I understand the OP problem correctly, the issue is not the query or the structure of the table. The query executes fine and is fast.

The issue is the slowness of the code from line 7 to 10 on post 1, the loop speed which perhaps could be sped up if possible.

If the speed of the loop depends on the query being executed then that is something else and interesting.

Upvote 0

Alessandro71

Licensed User
Longtime User
for the sake of completeness i tried removing the DISTINCT and the ORDER BY, in different tests, with no effect at all

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Try
B4X:
Dim entries As List
entries.Initialize

WriteLog("query start")
Dim rs As ResultSet = DB.ExecQuery2("SELECT DISTINCT carvaluename FROM carvalues WHERE timestamp>=? AND timestamp<=? ORDER BY carvaluename", Array As String(starttimestamp, endtimestamp))
WriteLog("query end")
Do While rs.NextRow
    WriteLog("add record")
    'entries.Add(rs.GetString("carvaluename"))
Loop
rs.Close
Reason: supposedly GetString(String) is expensive.
If this makes a difference, try GetString(Int), where Int the the column position of the resultset that you are trying to retrieve.
Source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8623551/sqlite-queries-extremely-slow-in-java
Note: I've not seen this issue in jRDC and SQLite, but jRDC does not use string names for column access of query results

Upvote 0

Alessandro71

Licensed User
Longtime User
as a followup, I solved this by rewriting the query as follows
SQL:
SELECT carvaluename from (SELECT DISTINCT carvalueid as id FROM carvaluevalues WHERE timestamp>=? AND timestamp<=?) JOIN carvaluenames on id=carvaluenames.carvalueid ORDER by carvaluename
same result, but lightning fast now

Upvote 1
Solution