Android Question Permissions - Don't ask again

Robert Valentino

Licensed User
Longtime User
When testing my APP for permissions I selected Deny.

My APP sees it was denied a specific permission that it needs, puts out an error message explaining this permission is needed and terminates.

NOW, the next time the user starts my APP it again (because the user Deny the permission) asks for the permission BUT this time Google / Android adds a "Don't ask again" radio button.

If the user thinks they are going to try and get my app to bypass the permission and selects "Don't ask again" and then selects Deny. Again my program puts out an Error message explaining I need the permission and terminates.

BUT now the user can never run my program.
Because they selected Don't ask again.

The next time they start my program I just get the Deny and put out an error message and terminate

Is the ANY way of stopping this "Don't ask again" from showing or being selected on a permissions message?

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
at my android 6 phone there is a permission manager app. and i am happy that this thing exist.
what kind of permission you spoke about?

Upvote 0

Robert Valentino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Nice feature, but would all novice users know about this.

They would just probably give my app a bad review and move on

Upvote 0

Robert Valentino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Here is a screen shot of the 2nd time around (after the user denied permission once)
Screenshot_20180723-124039_Package_installer[1].jpg

Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
the over-average user is stupid.
this permission thing at android is a disaster.
at the older android os the apps in store was always forcing to give the app all permissions or it not start. (some kind of extortion)

understand, your permissions belongs data privacy.
why you need access this private user data?
maybe there is a other solution. example using a os dialog with user interaction to fetch data as copy.

Upvote 0

Robert Valentino

Licensed User
Longtime User
I DON'T.

These permissions lead to those questions

B4X:
               mPermissions.AddAll(Array As String(mRuntimePermissions.PERMISSION_WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE,    _
                                                   mRuntimePermissions.PERMISSION_READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE,   _
                                                   mRuntimePermissions.PERMISSION_GET_ACCOUNTS,           _
                                                   mRuntimePermissions.PERMISSION_READ_PHONE_STATE))

I need to write information, need to get Email address and Phone Number

Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
i think read/write you can use without permissions inside your app sandbox.
instead of all account data and read mail adress or phone number you can provide 2 input boxes alternative
and maybe there a menu get from phone that will ask for permissions. in the end you app can run without permissions.

Upvote 0

Robert Valentino

Licensed User
Longtime User
I need to read/write files. Get a list of there accounts (mainly Email address) and get there phone number if device has one.

These are the questions they are asked, very misleading for what I am trying to do

Screenshot_20180723-125810_Package installer.jpg Screenshot_20180723-125817_Package installer.jpg Screenshot_20180723-125823_Package installer.jpg

Upvote 0

Robert Valentino

Licensed User
Longtime User
When you say within my sandbox. I allow the user to pick where they want me to read or write files. Is that still within my sandbox?

Provide 2 input box alternative? Not sure what you mean by this?
Do you mean ask them for the information? If so my answer would be NO. I want the information the phone is registered with.

I guess you missed the point of my question, being HOW do I get by the selecting Don't ask again. Or stop that option from showing.

Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
i had understand your point, i guess you can not suppress this option. some apps would make endless annoying popups.

Tried removing the Read / Write External Permissions and I could not open my SQL database
what folder do u used? from app game kit i know its possible to read/write a hiscore file without any special permissions.

I want the information the phone is registered with.
if you will have this as copy protection, the google logic was using a check if the user bought your app in store via api.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Robert Valentino

Licensed User
Longtime User
You are right copy protection. But this isn't the proper place. If you want to start a conversation I will explain my logic there

Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
i found even about this dialog.
One approach you might use is to provide an explanation only if the user has already denied that permission request. Android provides a utility method, shouldShowRequestPermissionRationale(), that returns true if the user has previously denied the request, and returns false if a user has denied a permission and selected the Don't ask again option in the permission request dialog, or if a device policy prohibits the permission.

https://developer.android.com/training/permissions/requesting

Upvote 0