Android Question PhoneStateListener vs BroadcastReceiver

Inman

Licensed User
Longtime User
There are two ways to wait for a phone call. One is to have a service to monitor PhoneStateChanged event of PhoneEvents and other is to have a Broadcast Receiver service for android.intent.action.PHONE_STATE.

The benefit of Broadcast Receiver is that you don't need to worry about keeping your service alive as system will wake it when an incoming call comes. But I have noticed that sometimes there is a slight delay and therefore if it is absolutely critical that you should know the moment a call comes, it is better to maintain your own service with PhoneStateChanged. But that would mean having a foreground service and a full time notification.

My question is this. Imagine I have 2 services in the same app - one for BroadcastReceiver and other for PhoneStateListener. When an incoming call comes, which of the two will be raised? Or is it both? How will the flow of execution be?

I am asking this because I am thinking of combining the two - using BroadcastReceiver to start the service that has PhoneStateListener, in case the system has killed it. That way I can avoid PhoneStateListener service from being on foreground all the time and therefore the persistent notification as well.

Inman

Licensed User
Longtime User
Oh ok. If both require an active service, what is one's advantage over the other?

Upvote 0