Wish Please add a #VersionName: 1.4.#123# feature

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am finding it VERY difficult to maintain version numbers after I do slight changes and compiles to an app. If I forget to *manually* increment the version number, it results in me not fully trusting what version a client actually has.

It would be real cool if when your complier sees an opening and closing number (hash) signs in the "VersionName:" line of a project, that it will simply increment the number between the trailing #'s AFTER it compiles the app.

So, a line of "#VersionName: 1.4.#123#" will change to "#VersionName: 1.4.#124#" AFTER it compiles the app.

This method has these advantages:

1) We will finally get an auto-incrementing build number like VB6 had so we can keep track of builds without having to remember to manually update the version line in code
2) If we don't want to have an auto-incrementing number within the version, then we just wont include the extra open and closing "#" symbols in the #VersionName line.
3) By using and displaying an actual number between the hash tags, we will be able to clearly see what the current version is, and allow us to change it as needed (ie. change it from 1.4.#118# to 2.0.#0# when releasing a new major version).
4) This should be pretty easy to implement because it doesn't require B4A to "store" the current build number anywhere, your compiler will simply increment the *already existing* number between the two hash symbols (only if it finds the two extra #'s in the #VersionName line in the app's code) after doing a compile.

Last edited:

HotShoe

Licensed User
Longtime User
When I start doing updates to an app, I change the version number when I start. That update may take days or weeks to complete though, so I don't want it changing version numbers each time I save the project and compile a test version. I also export as zip before I start the update process and keep copies of the older released versions.

Version control is always a pain, but an auto incrementing function would, for me at least, be more of a problem than remembering to update it manually.

--- Jem

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Version control is always a pain, but an auto incrementing function would, for me at least, be more of a problem than remembering to update it manually.
--- Jem

That's why for situations like yours, simply don't include any opening and closing "#" in the #VersionName line so then B4A will NOT increment anything. The feature I am suggesting is user selectable to turn it on or off by doing this.

But for many users like myself, we need an *automatic* incrementing build number to keep track.