Android Question Please help with translation.

Sergey_New

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry for being off topic.
In Russian, for the abbreviated spelling of the phrase “birthday”, the abbreviation ДР can be used (this is in Cyrillic). Is there a similar option for English, German and French?

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
In English - After DOB: 150 years
There remains a translation into German

A starting point:

https://chat.openai.com/share/977e4672-6132-4332-a133-0a963340ade1

1696407235037.png

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
In English I would then say: "Born 150 years ago" which is 4 characters shorter than "Since b'day: 150 years"

or "Since birth: 150 years" or "Years since birth: 150"

both of those are 3 characters shorter than "Since birthday: 150 years"

so at least we've made some progress from the original starting point 🏆

I agree that "age" usually only refers to still-existing / still-living things in English too

What is the exact field label that you have in Russian? (that we are trying to match in length in other languages)

Upvote 0

Sergey_New

Licensed User
Longtime User
What is the exact field label that you have in Russian?
The number of characters before and after the “:” sign should not be more than 9. In the end, I will have to stop at 10 characters.
If colleagues have no further comments:
Russian - После ДР:150 лет
English - After DOB:150 years
French - Après DDN:150 ans
German - Seit Geb.:150 Jahre

Upvote 0

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
You need to clarify what you are asking for in the first post.
If what you are asking for is how old a person is the answer in English would be:
Upvote 0

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User
For the german part:

For Date of birth the correct german translation is GEBURTSTAG. You find this on all personal documents (passport, driving license). It is the same meaning like date of birth in english language or date de naissance in french language.
In german language there is no official rule I know, defining the time passed since the date of birth. Best description for this would be GEBOREN VOR XXX JAHREN. Translated to english it would be born XXX years ago.
It could be very tricky to put this into 10 characters. I am with MrKim (post above):

Example:
German language:
Geburtstag: 23.01.1823 (vor 200 Jahren)

This translated to english:
Date of birth: 23.01.1823 (200 years ago)

Another hint: Keep in mind, different languages and countries are using different separators. So this depends then on the DATETIME-Definition within your programme.
In german language we prefer DD.MM.YYYY. In english language often day and month are swapped by each other and the year misses the century, separated this way: MM/DD/YY. It is all about definition...

Upvote 0