"Please start a new thread for this question."

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, All

There are many new questions in the topics where this subject post stops the discussions.
If this is really important - i guess, the forum should have some button at the end to create the related question (to this initial topic), just to help requesters and community to post smaller qty of the alerts as in the subject.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
It is important to keep each thread focused on a specific question. Mainly for two reasons:

1. It is easier to find such threads when you search for a similar problem.
2. It is easier to understand the discussion. The question is clear and all the following posts are relevant to the question.

I've made the "old thread warning" period much shorter (10 days) and it now includes links to create new threads in the questions forums.

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've made the "old thread warning" period much shorter (10 days)
That is a good thing for general queries in the question forum I think.

However, for specific library-threads I think it is counter-productive because it means I need to monitor the forum for questions which might be related to a library I have posted and which are better suited to be posted in the library-threads. I may not even see those questions due to the sheer amount of questions posted here in the forum. For the libraries, I think it is better that all questions are posted in the relative thread.

Just my 2 cents.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
That is a good thing for general queries in the question forum I think.

However, for specific library-threads I think it is counter-productive because it means I need to monitor the forum for questions which might be related to a library I have posted and which are better suited to be posted in the library-threads. I may not even see those questions due to the sheer amount of questions posted here in the forum. For the libraries, I think it is better that all questions are posted in the relative thread.

Just my 2 cents.

Why not take the same approach as @alwaysbusy as done with ABMaterial, or like I have started doing with RDC?

Just add the tag to the question title !
i.e.:
"[myLibName] Why is it so difficult ?"

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok, you don't like it... But imagine how would the ABMATERIAL thread be by now it it weren't using that !

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, you have your opinion and which might be that of Erel's. Fair enough.

For ABMATERIAL it may make sense because it is more of a framework and not a simple wrapper/library.

For normal library threads, it is much easier to handle questions in one thread. If you do your approach with for example Informatix's ULV-thread (which is a high volume thread), he would need to search the forum for ULV-tags and questions which perhaps says "I have donated to you. Why haven't I received the wrapper yet"? and he may miss them. Also when I publish an update of the library, should I create a new thread because it is old? It does not make sense....

So, it is not because "I find it difficult" as you wrote but because I find it counter-productive. Therefore, I beg to differ..

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The "why is it so difficult" was in between quotes, just as a title example, not to be taken personally.

I guess this is a case by case thing... There are "simple" libraries that are not so simple, like the firebase one... For some libs I think tagging is the best approach

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Would the forum software allow auto subscribing the thread creator to posts created with one of the new links? Maybe for threads created in the library forums. Just thinking out loud here. Perhaps with a global opt in

Last edited:

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In general I think it is better to create a new thread. The only problem is that if the new thread is bound to a third party library the library author will not be notified.

Most times I try to read all questions (at least the subject) but there are times when I can't read the forum every day and then I skip several pages of new posts. If the "New Posts" section had a filter to show only selected forums that would help very much.