iOS Question Problem Installing App to Test iPhone via Bridge or Configurator 2

Steve Beer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have been using B4A for some time, and have recently been building an app with B4i.

I have a Mac Mini (late 2014) specifically to run the B4i Builder. It is running MacOS 12.2.1 and XCode 13.2.1

My app builds OK, and works fine in the simulator, but I am having problems getting it to a physical device.

I have created a Certificate, a wildcard App Identifier (abc.*) and a Provisioning profile following Erel’s video tutorial, with the files downloaded to the Keys folder, and registered the UDID of the test device (iPhone 8)

The package name is set to abc.Lighting in Build Configuration.

I first followed Erel’s tutorial and tried creating the Bridge App, but, as I see others have reported, I get a message on the Mac asking for the B4i-Default password.

Searching other posts, I saw the suggestion was to use the Apple configurator 2.

So I then selected Build Release App, as that seemed to be the appropriate option, however at the bottom of the compile screen on the windows PC it says ‘This is a simulator Build. Do not submit it to the App Store’. It then starts running on the simulator.

I have connected the iPhone to the Mac via USB, and it is shown on the Configurator. I then Selected Add / Apps on the configurator, and found my ipa file, I selected it, and it appeared to add it to the iPhone. The correct icon appeared on the iPhone screen, however when I click on the icon, a message comes up saying ‘Unable to Install “abc Lighting” This app cannot be installed because its integrity could not be verified’

In case Configurator needed an Explicit AppID, I have also made an Explicit app id for abc.Lighting, and created a provisioning profile linking that to the certificate.

I made a separate subfolder in Keys for this explicit AppID files, changed the Keys folder in the Paths Configuration screen to this subfolder, and recompiled. I then tried to add this IPA file to the iPhone via Configurator 2, but still get the same “Unable to Install” message

I believe I have followed all the instructions, and would be grateful of any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
So I then selected Build Release App, as that seemed to be the appropriate option
Debug mode also works.

I have connected the iPhone to the Mac via USB, and it is shown on the Configurator. I then Selected Add / Apps on the configurator, and found my ipa file, I selected it, and it appeared to add it to the iPhone. The correct icon appeared on the iPhone screen, however when I click on the icon, a message comes up saying ‘Unable to Install “abc Lighting” This app cannot be installed because its integrity could not be verified’
That's not needed.

Open B4i-Bridge on the device. Choose Tools - Device IP Address and choose the iphone ip address. Run the project.

Upvote 0

Steve Beer

Licensed User
Longtime User
The issue with B4i-Bridge is that it will not create, so I cannot put it on the iPhone.

I am getting the message on the MAC that others have previously reported, asking for the b4i-default-db password to access the B4i keychain
2022-03-15 B4iBridge Mac Message.JPG

On the PC the Compile just Fails after a few minutes with a Comms timeout as I do not know what password to enter on the Mac

2022-03-15 B4iBridge PC Compile.JPG

I have seen in other posts that there is an updated builder available that auto populates the password. would it be possible to get a copy of that please.

I am using B4i Version 7.8 and Builder 7.5 which I believe are the latest versions

I see in other posts that the Apple Configurator 2 is now the preferred way to deploy to a test device.

Are there any suggestions why I am getting the Unable to Install message when using Configurator 2 to deploy the application

2022-03-15 ViaAppleConfiguratorMessage.JPG

The App I am developing is for my home use only (Home Automation), so I need to deploy to local devices. It will never go to the App store for others

Upvote 0

Steve Beer

Licensed User
Longtime User
That was the post I was referring to when I said
I have seen in other posts that there is an updated builder available that auto populates the password. would it be possible to get a copy of that please.

It seems like that post is having issues with the simulator. My simulator is working fine.

My issue here is that I can't create the bridge to get the url to install the bridge on the physical device.

I am running Monterey with XCode 13 (13.2.1) which Erel says is OK in that post

Sounds like I might need the updated builder mentioned in that post.

I am still unsure why it is not working via the Apple Configurator 2 either. It seems like the package isn't signed correctly, but I have followed Erel's instructions exactly when creating the certificate, App identifier and Provisioning Profile.

I found a post on the Apple site regarding a similar issue when deploying with Configurator 2, but they were using Visual studio I think, and not B4i and resolved by deploying by a different method via the app store to test, which then listed a pile of errors that indicated the Visual studio configuration was wrong. I am not seeing any details via the B4i route, so have no clue what is actually wrong.

I am suspecting a reload of the Mac is coming later today

Upvote 0

Steve Beer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have replaced the B4iBuildServer.jar file with the file you provided (It now shows version 7.51 on start up) .

I have got a bit further, where it now asks for the password twice, and seems to accept the password you provided me.

It is now failing on a file or directory not found

2022-03-15 B4iBridge PC Compile 2.JPG

Upvote 0