Wish Program documentation

Adrian Jansen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi All,
Been involved in programmning for years, but new to B4J and in particular SQLITE database stuff.
It occurs to me that it would be useful to have a place to store documentation with the code. Not individual inline comments, which are fine, but an overall view of how the program works, ideas to try, or anything else describing what is being done, and why.
In particular with database stuff, what you do in code bears no resemblance to what the intentions are in organising the database, linking tables, creating queries, etc. I find I am writing blocks of comments to keep track of what I am doing ( or have tried ) and then having to search around in the code modules looking for what I already noted.
Visual Basic never had the facility to easily write comment blocks, unlike C with its /* comment block */ arrangement. I know you can block comment a section with the editor, but when writing a block of just text, you either have to comment each line as you write it, or have the editor mark lots of what it thinks are syntax errors. A block comment arrangement would be really useful. Alternately, and maybe even better, would be the ablility to create a separate 'no code' module which just contains documentation, like some of the CAD packages have for documenting designs. That way one could have it in view as a floating window, and refer to it while writing code in another module.

Just my thoughts. All comments welcome.

angel_

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can create a Region:

B4X:
Region DOCUMENTATION

my documentation...

End Region

walt61

Licensed User
Longtime User
Or, to expand on @angel_ 's suggestion:
B4X:
#Region DOCUMENTATION
#If DOCUMENTATION
This is documentation; no need for block commenting, write
whatever you need here.
It will work fine as long as you don't define a Conditional Symbol
called 'DOCUMENTATION' in the project's Build Configurations.
#End If ' DOCUMENTATION
#End Region ' DOCUMENTATION

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Something like this?

1675407385638.png

Adrian Jansen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Or, to expand on @angel_ 's suggestion:
B4X:
#Region DOCUMENTATION
#If DOCUMENTATION
This is documentation; no need for block commenting, write
whatever you need here.
It will work fine as long as you don't define a Conditional Symbol
called 'DOCUMENTATION' in the project's Build Configurations.
#End If ' DOCUMENTATION
#End Region ' DOCUMENTATION
Perfect ! Thats just what I want