Android Question Publish (for the first time) on google play

Sabotto

Licensed User
I decided to publish (for the first time) a small entertainment app on the play store. I don't program for a living, so I was (and am) not very familiar with the subject. To encourage me not to give up... I have currently only created the developer account on the Play Console with the one-off payment of 25 dollars.
Then I tried to read a few posts, but jumping from link to link, in the end I didn't understand whether over time, to publish an app, things had become simpler or more complicated. I therefore tried to put them in chronological order and I think the last one is post #3 by user@mcqueccu updated on February 4, 2022 here

Surely there are many here who publish and who are updated on the procedure to follow.
Before venturing, therefore, I ask if anyone can clarify my current doubts (there will certainly be others later):
1) Is this still the procedure (as post #3 that I indicated says) which in practice only involves two steps starting from version 9.8 of B4A?
2) Is the .apk file no longer used but .AAB?
3) In the various links preceding the one I indicated we talk about pepk.jar, RSA keys, DSA, etc. Are they no longer needed? (why should I go and study what they are...)
4) Is there perhaps a link with updated step-by-step directions?
5) The app (if we ever manage to publish it) will be free. But I've never understood one thing: does Google insert the advertisements that usually appear independently, recognizing something to the developer? How does this work?
6) The app is a reproduction of a TV game and I guess you can't call it by the same name. Should we be careful? Are you risking something or are you just being warned that you need to change your name or logo, etc.? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me and give advice of any kind.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
1) and 3) I don't think you still need to follow this. In new version of B4A, when you create a new Private Sign Key, it is already using 2048-bit RSA.
Old:
Keystore type: JKS
Signature algorithm name: SHA1withDSA
Subject Public Key Algorithm: 1024-bit DSA key

New:
Keystore type: PKCS12
Signature algorithm name: SHA256withRSA
Subject Public Key Algorithm: 2048-bit RSA key

2) You can use .apk for personal app or if you are not planning to publish to Play store. You get it when you choose Release.
Otherwise you need to choose "Build App Bundle" to produce the .aab file for uploading to Play store.

4) You can check this tutorial created by me too.

5) No. Google does not insert the advertisements if you don't add yourself. If you want to "monetize" your app, you need to add adMob library.

6) You need to be careful of copyright and Intellectual Property. Your app may not pass the review if you are using other registered trademark and logo without permission.

Upvote 0

Sabotto

Licensed User
Thanks @aeric, great guide.
I see that it is updated in August 2021 and subsequently (in October 2021) other changes and/or suggestions were added by the user "Mashiane".
Has nothing changed (since over two years have passed)?
It would be great if you could update it if necessary.

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks @aeric, great guide.
I see that it is updated in August 2021 and subsequently (in October 2021) other changes and/or suggestions were added by the user "Mashiane".
Has nothing changed (since over two years have passed)?
It would be great if you could update it if necessary.
I don't think any or much changes have happened since then.
I have not uploaded any new app recently but what mentioned by Mashiane is correct.
Google always change their requirements. As B4A IDE also guide you to set the targetSdkVersion to 33 or above.

This update makes B4A ready for setting targetSdkVersion to 33. This will be required by Google Play in a couple of months.

Upvote 0