Android Question Published a new update. Play Protect Gives Warning on install?

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

I have an app on playstore with more than100k active users. Today I have uploaded a new build. I have added sd_treelist and wobblemenu by Bisjawit. Some users are reporting that Play Protect blocks the update and says it has a virus. But on my test phones, I don't see this. But some users are absolutely experiencing it. This will crash my apps reviews and install numbers. What should I do? I can't udnerstand what causing it.

Thanks

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Anything unusual in the new libs you are using ?
I am using Wobblemenu and Sd_treelist as mentioned but nothing is unusual. I am really having problem as samsung devices with preinstalled mcafee device protection doesnt allow my app to be installed. If I test the old apk with internal testing the error is gone but with the new update even if i remove the new libraries and test I get this. I can't find what changed, mcafee support is not helping. Really stuck. Losing 7 years of customer database slowly day by day :/

Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Play protect is not the problem. Problem is device protection software on samsung phones that is maintained by mcafee.

Upvote 0

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
Make a new program with 1 activity and single button on it. I would use B4X pages. In the version that works check the min SDK level against the app that does not work. I think it may be something to with this. The new program is just a stub. so you can check various think like the SDK level, library's etc. I know that Samsung phone are very problematic.

Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
How many libraries are you using ?
only 2 new libraries until the problem started. I don't know how mcafee works because when I scan the apk with mcafee on computer no problems, tried totalvirusscan online, no problems. Some behaviour may be causing it. Maybe new libraries requires a minsdk but I don't know if it causes mcafee to see it as suspicious.

Upvote 0

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
As I suggested make a simple app and start testing by adding each lib (one at a time) compile and install. Do this and see if you can find what is causing the problem.

Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just installed it on a Samsung XCover Android 11 without any issues.
Thanks for your help. You must have device protection setting "on" to have this issue. It is provided by mcafee. I don't know if your phone has it preinstalled but new ones have it.

Upvote 0

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
Your welcome, the phone has device protection on and McAfee on it. I am currently running a scan and no threats we found which includes all myapps and your app too. Are you going to try my suggestion ?

Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't have a phone with device protection enabled so I am making the test by sending to a friend and getting back its results. So It is really difficult to try thing one by one from stratch :(
That's why I am trying to remove the things changed with the last update but that doesn't also help. It is interesting that device protection doesnt find the app in scan. Can you send me a screen shot of your device protection page if possible by pm ? I want to compare it my friends to check if they are the same if it is not a problem for you. Thanks

Upvote 0

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
Screenshot_20230509-120619_Device care.jpg

Upvote 0