Push Notification Question

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

I am trying to work out the best way to send push notifications to my app based on a TCP event from a device.

(A example of my device could be a TV and it will spit out commands to the devices connected to it when the TV station it changed.)

The device that I want to get the event from only sends data out and won't connect to any devices. My App (or a google service?) will need to connect to it and wait for this command.

However, it spits out commands all the time but I want to listen out for a specific one and only display a Notification based on that command.

All the examples I can find look like the device (in my example a TV) will connect and send the Notification to the app, where I need something that will connect to a device and wait for the command and then send the Notification.

The only way I can think of doing this is to get my app to connect to my device and listen out for the command. (but this would cost a bit in data services if they are on 3G/4G and not connected by Wi-Fi).

Does anyone have any ideas how to do this?

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
The only thing is that my device (TV) can't connect to devices it will only send data to those that are connected to it.

My web server needs to make the connection and then my device will send data to the server.

(I can't make my Device (TV) connect to a server, it needs to be the other way around)

Upvote 0