Quiz: Will the circle close first or the disk?

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In the 3 pictures A, B and C, we see the circle is approaching closure.. the question:
will the circle (the black line) completes first, or the yellow pie inside will be completely isolated from the outside world first?

Attachments

• circle.jpg
    circle.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 210

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, @LucaMs ! @Beja, your circles... Mmmm... How did you got a picture of my bosom ? ... ... .... LOL :D

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ohhhhh, finally someone who launched the "pervert circle" for the community!
I was afraid to be the only one around..
So, we haven't got only austere and busy programmers here. Nice to know :)

C'mon ladies and gentlemen, contribute the thread shameless (but in the limits of good taste, please).

@Beja , sorry that your quiz took this trend.. but it looks funny and promising.. eheh

Ok, back to the boring daily chores :(

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
One final word before a really go.
The circle will complete first, because the inner yellow area won't never be completely isolated from the outside world since what we are looking at is an image taken from the z-axis and so there's no real isolation.

Don't blame me for this strange spatial solution.. others keep seeing 3D objects..

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@udg
I am working on 3 projects at this time, and must travel to a customer to deliver some job that has nothing to
do with programming, that's why I am fanning it all out on this space :)

The quiz is about 2-dimentional world.. if you consider it 3-dim then it will by spherical.. so don't be to smart!
My solution is that, inner disk will be isolated first, because real world consist of particles, even photons.. so when the space between the
to points of the black circle becomes less than the diameter of the particle, then the all matter inside the circle will be isolated.

(we need someone who didn't miss the physics class)

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You are changing the rule within one sentence:
The quiz is about 2-dimentional world..
My solution is that, inner disk will be isolated first, because real world consist of particles, even photons.
In real world of two dimensions there are no particles in the way you mean.
If you refer to multidimentional world, the position of the particles is changing all the time so the solution is defined by probbility.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The general rule is the same, you have mass of matter that's being surrounded, it doesn't matter if it is on a flat surface or a cube or spherical shape..
you are right everything in real world is 3-dimentional (for the sake of discussion), but when I say two-dimensional , of course I don't mean the height = 0.. I am sure your
car's odometer doesn't have embedded equation of special relativity to measure the speed relative to from where you moved ;)

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In the 3 pictures A, B and C, we see the circle is approaching closure.. the question:
will the circle (the black line) completes first, or the yellow pie inside will be completely isolated from the outside world first?

I don't understand the question. The "inside part" will be an "inside part" just when the circle will be completed!

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The "inside part" will be an "inside part" just when the circle will be completed!
Yes Luca, the question is exactly about this. So you think the two events occur at the same time.. the absolute same time..
Yes, theoretically may be correct, but if you applied it to any real situation then it may not work as is.

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This reminds me of the question about the cucumber : is it more long than green or the other way ?

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hey Beja,

I indeed suspected the kind of solution you indicate in post #8, since I read post #2, but preferred a more "unusual" one.
My point was: just consider those 2D pictures as perpendicular sections to the revolving axis for a cylinder that goes forming itself.
And, before that, a "smarter" and cheating one: me, the observer, above a 2D drawing immersed in a 3D world that constitutes the "outside world" cited in the question.

Let say that my solutions concetrated more on the lexical aspect of the question than on the intented meaning :)

udg

ps: @derez , citing the cucumber are you claiming the chairmanship to the pervert circle? :D

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
ps: @@derez , citing the cucumber are you claiming the chairmanship to the pervert circle? :D
No (I am not an expert yet...)
The answer to the question involves dimensions, thats why I threw it into this discussion:
The cucumber is long in one dimension only, while it is green in three ! so it is more green than long.