Android Question Rapid debugger with 5.8

SteveTerrell

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just a comment on what i am finding..
Configuration Windows XP - Nexus 7 latest updates using WiFi Ba Bridge 2.13, App using BLE2

The 5.8 Rapid debugger works but seems more fragile than before.

The following issues all occur while running under rapid debugger at a rate of several times/hour.
Either:
a. the bridge will disconnect just after installing and starting to run a program - it will usually reconnect again and i can restart the app and it runs
b. the tablet disconnects from the WiFi - often needs a tablet reboot to reconnect - when not debugging the WiFi stays connected "forever"
c. the log window will show only the ** messages (whether filtered is ticked or not) not the app log output
i seem to have to switch to legacy debugger and run the app (where the app log starts working again) then back to rapid where it keeps on working

None of these issues seem to occur with the legacy debugger or occurred with earlier versions of the rapid debugger.

Steve

Ivan Leal

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello everyone.
I have the same problem that Steve related to debugger from version 5.8 (including the 6.0 beta).
Anyone have any idea of the cause of this problem (and solution)?

Upvote 0

An Schi

Licensed User
b. the tablet disconnects from the WiFi - often needs a tablet reboot to reconnect - when not debugging the WiFi stays connected "forever"

My phone looses the wifi connection as well, when i am coding in my university and using the debugger. Till now i thought i am getting kicked out. At home this doesn't happen.

My setup:
Latest bridge app
Galxy s4, 5.0.1
B4a 5.8
Win 10 64bit

Upvote 0

SteveTerrell

Licensed User
Longtime User
You should switch to USB debug mode and then see whether the problem is in the debugger or the network.

An update from my experience,

Switching to Windows 10 (and a faster windows platform) seems to have solved/hidden the problem.

Steve

Upvote 0

SteveTerrell

Licensed User
Longtime User
An update from my experience,

Switching to Windows 10 (and a faster windows platform) seems to have solved/hidden the problem.

Steve

Further update, i spoke too soon!

System: Windows 10, B4A 6.00, Nexus 7 Android 6.0.1, Bridge 2.14

Using rapid debug over bridge often (probably every time) causes the Nexus to loose its WiFi connection when the target program starts BLE2 scanning and connecting. Up to the point where i start that process on the Tablet the debugger is working as it should. Sometimes the tablet will re-connect to the WiFi other times it needs a re-boot then i can reconnect B4A to the bridge. After that the log window usually does not display all program generated log lines (for a new debug run) despite clicking on connect in the log window. I seem to have to restart B4A or switch to legacy - start a run then stop and switch back to rapid to get the log display showing log lines again.

Using Legacy debug over bridge works ok and Nexus stays connected to WiFi.

While breakpoints etc. work as they always did on the Legacy debugger it seems that the stop function (on the legacy debugger) no longer stops the target program which carries on running until i start a new debug run or manually stop it on the tablet. Is this a new feature?

Upvote 0

SteveTerrell

Licensed User
Longtime User
Why aren't you switching to USB debug mode instead of B4A-Bridge?

Clearly that would be an option but at the moment the Legacy debugger is doing everything i need and it does help to have the target running nearly at full speed.
My last post was only for information, it is certainly not a complaint.

Upvote 0

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I had a similar problem on my Android 5+/6 devices. The bridge does not work reliable. Sometimes the logs show, sometimes not (which is NOT a network problem here). I've switched to USB debugging, which is - of course - not a solution. Bad: I can't reproduce. It just "occurs" mostly after some rounds of testing.

Upvote 0