Android Question Regarding the latest API level requirement - what happens to users with very old phones?

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have an app that also need an update, just as many other members in the forum have described. And from what I can gather, the min level should be set to 23 and target level to 33.

So far so good. But before publishing the update I had a look at my userbase, and it turned out that I have recent users with devices going back all the way to api level 18. (Meaning they are running Jelly Bean, a version from 2013.)

What will happen to my users that have a min level lower than 23? Will they still be able to use the app, or will it simply vanish from their phones?

(I am not looking for responses where I ask them to buy a new phone.)

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My guess is that any user who "already" downloaded your app before the cutoff date, will still be able to not only run it, but reinstall it on their older phone anytime in the future.

However, any "new" user with a device that doesn't meet the new min api level will not be able to see or install the app after the cutoff date.

Upvote 0

sirjo66

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yesterday I update two app, with
B4X:
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="14" android:targetSdkVersion="33"/>
and
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="5" android:targetSdkVersion="33"/>
and google accepted it, no problem

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My guess is that <snip>
Yes, that does seem like a reasonable guess. We'll see if someone will post here that know for sure.

Yesterday I update two app
You changed only the target level and left the min level at 14 and 5 and Google accepted it? Can you please verify that this is correct, it seems to go against most of what I read in the forum.

...re-reading info from Google...

Well, they clearly state "App must target Android 13 (API level 33) or higher" so it seems to make sense that the min level shouldn't be a part of all this. So I'm leaning towards @sirjo66 being correct and it's not needed to change the min level. I'll start with trying that, I think.

Upvote 0

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
With couple of apps approved targeting 33, I believe the minimum level is not part. However, from https://apilevels.com/ there is less than 1% of phones running Less than android 6.0.

So unless you have specific devices running android 4, 5 I will suggest you start setting your minimum too to maybe 21 or 23, which has improved security for your apps as well

Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Great page, never heard of it - thanks. Usually I go to the Wikipedia page for Android levels.

So unless you have specific devices running android 4, 5 I will suggest you start setting your minimum too to maybe 21 or 23
Yeah, I don't have many devices that old, but a few. I have a lot of users from countries where it's not common to upgrade mobile phones very often. And it is a marketing thing for me to be able to say "works with all Android phones, even really old ones". But perhaps I should bump it up a bit anyway. I need to think about that...

which has improved security for your apps as well
Now I feel a bit confused. What added security would my app benefit from if I set the minum to 21 or 23?

Upvote 0

sirjo66

Licensed User
Longtime User
You changed only the target level and left the min level at 14 and 5 and Google accepted it?
Can you please verify that this is correct, it seems to go against most of what I read in the forum.

Yes, I'm sure, here is screenshots

Immagine.png
Immagine0.png

Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Android 4 devices are very rare
Well, most of them (4.2 / 4.4) lie on my desk.. :)
Recently my son gave me his "old" Android 10 device. Its glass is a bit broken, but it works..heheh
Next step will be to wait for my wife to replace her Android 12 device :D

Upvote 0