Reminder: Clean your Windows "Temp" folder

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wonder, May 19, 2015.

1. wonder

wonder Expert Licensed User

So, I was running out of disk space until I realized I had 22 GigaBytes of junk in C:\Windows\Temp.
    Needless to say, I've Shift-Deleted the hell out of it! :D

Hopefully, someone will find this tip useful. :)

2. schemer

schemer Active Member Licensed User

3. wonder

Thanks!! I managed to got rid of 11 more GigaBytes! 25% of free disk space now! :D

schemer likes this.
  4. schemer

It is a great app and they even make an Android version. I use the pc version on ALL of my PC's. It is highly configurable too and that makes it so powerful if you know what you are doing. The defaults work fine for most people though. I love it. Been using it for years. :)

wonder likes this.
  5. Peter Simpson

Peter Simpson Expert Licensed User

I use CCleaner too, but I also use KillBox at the same too.

6. KMatle

KMatle Expert Licensed User

22 GB? Respect!

CCleaner -> perfect! -> don't forget to defrag after deleting 22 GB :D

wonder likes this.
  7. wonder

Thank you for the reminder! I will do so! :D

KMatle likes this.
  8. KMatle

9. schemer

I have used that too and its great but do not use it on your SSD's. At least from the research I have done it is best to let them do their own housekeeping. :) Use it on all your regular platter type spinning hard drives though.

10. schemer

Which version? It seems that project has been abandoned and when I search for it I get a feeling I am going to get hosed with some add on software or advertising or toolbars etc. I don't know that I want or need it but if I try it I want to get a clean, no extras app. :)
    Thanks,
    schemer

11. Peter Simpson

Peter Simpson Expert Licensed User

They have stopped developing KillBox @schemer, but I still use it once a month...

12. DonManfred

DonManfred Expert Licensed User

Aufnahme2.png

13. sorex

sorex Expert Licensed User

another hint that can gain a lot...

use CleanManager (start > cleanmgr )

and tag the "remove service pack uninstall" and/or "remove patch uninstall / clean up windows update" (or something like that)
    (I think it's a seperate button in Win8.1)

it will remove uninstalls of applied service packs & patches and clean up the mess in the windows\winsxs folder.

the only disadvantage is that you can't uninstall the patches, but clever people disable windows update and run it manually ;)
    so it's safe to use this when you didn't notice issues after the last manual update.

I also use this trick to gain thin provisioning space & transfer time when virtualizing servers.
    (it requires an additional KB install for that feature on Windows servers tho)

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    wonder likes this.
  14. Troberg

Troberg Well-Known Member Licensed User

I have a scheduled script which deletes everything in temp every hour. Files actually needed are locked, so they won't be deleted. Simple and effective.

15. wonder

Killed another 4,4 GB! :) You guys are awsome!! Thanks!!! :D

16. KMatle

I'm the winner: Dismounted my 3 TB hd and throwed it away... Your turn, Manfred :D:D

qsrtech and Cableguy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice