Reminder: Clean your Windows "Temp" folder

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So, I was running out of disk space until I realized I had 22 GigaBytes of junk in C:\Windows\Temp.
Needless to say, I've Shift-Deleted the hell out of it! :D

Hopefully, someone will find this tip useful. :)

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Use CCleaner and clean all the other junk too. :) There is a FREE Version.
Thanks!! I managed to got rid of 11 more GigaBytes! 25% of free disk space now! :D

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks!! I managed to got rid of 11 more GigaBytes! 25% of free disk space now! :D

It is a great app and they even make an Android version. I use the pc version on ALL of my PC's. It is highly configurable too and that makes it so powerful if you know what you are doing. The defaults work fine for most people though. I love it. Been using it for years. :)

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I use CCleaner too, but I also use KillBox at the same too.
Which version? It seems that project has been abandoned and when I search for it I get a feeling I am going to get hosed with some add on software or advertising or toolbars etc. I don't know that I want or need it but if I try it I want to get a clean, no extras app. :)
Thanks,
schemer

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
another hint that can gain a lot...

use CleanManager (start > cleanmgr )

and tag the "remove service pack uninstall" and/or "remove patch uninstall / clean up windows update" (or something like that)
(I think it's a seperate button in Win8.1)

it will remove uninstalls of applied service packs & patches and clean up the mess in the windows\winsxs folder.

the only disadvantage is that you can't uninstall the patches, but clever people disable windows update and run it manually ;)
so it's safe to use this when you didn't notice issues after the last manual update.

I also use this trick to gain thin provisioning space & transfer time when virtualizing servers.
(it requires an additional KB install for that feature on Windows servers tho)

Last edited:

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a scheduled script which deletes everything in temp every hour. Files actually needed are locked, so they won't be deleted. Simple and effective.

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
another hint that can gain a lot...

use CleanManager (start > cleanmgr )

and tag the "remove service pack uninstall" and/or "remove patch uninstall / clean up windows update" (or something like that)
(I think it's a seperate button in Win8.1)

it will remove uninstalls of applied service packs & patches and clean up the mess in the windows\winsxs folder.

the only disadvantage is that you can't uninstall the patches, but clever people disable windows update and run it manually ;)
so it's safe to use this when you didn't notice issues after the last manual update.

I also use this trick to gain thin provisioning space & transfer time when virtualizing servers.
(it requires an additional KB install for that feature on Windows servers tho)
Killed another 4,4 GB! :) You guys are awsome!! Thanks!!! :D