Remotely Starting the Car

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a 1997 Honda Civic, so not a lot of electronics to play with.
Let's assume that I have an old smartphone in the glovebox, hardwired to my car battery, internet connection and bluetooth always on.

What kind of device (bluetooth) would I need to buy/build to remotely start my car engine?
Would a Raspberry Pi wired to the ignition be a viable solution?

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for the quick answer! I wish I knew more about electronics and their practical application.

Every morning when I wake-up, I dream about having an app that would start the engine, warm-up the car and defrost the windshield, while I'm getting ready for work.

HotShoe

Licensed User
Longtime User

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Try the ioio board... You can code it using b4a and there are lots of "shields" for it... Interfacing non electronic car shouldn't be that hard.

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
I`d only do this project if you could sense that the handbrake is on and the gearbox is in neutral - for obvious reasons!

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If the brake in Park then it is also ok..
Since you are using an unused cellphone, then you can use Bluetooth device for the adapter module or shield. HC- 05 will do that if you configure it as slave, or you can just use the pre-configured module (HC-06)
https://electrosome.com/shop/hc-05-bluetooth-module/
but BT is for short distances only, to start it from remote place (for any reason) then the best bet is SMS msg or send your phone an email! in both cases you will need to write a service module to intercept the SMS or email and parse and process it.

good luck.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You will need the used smartphone only if you want to control the device by sms or email, but with Bluetooth you only need the above module HC-5 or 6
and a dedicated microcontroller with relay output, or if using arduino then will also need a "Shield" with relay output.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The solution involves hardware design to unlock the door and to start the car.. because if you lose the key then it doesn't make sense to just open it and sit inside;)
the software side is easy, and the hardware side is also easy but needs experience in digital and power electronics and mController design.

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The solution involves hardware design to unlock the door and to start the car..
I don't want to unlock the doors. All I want is to start my car while I shave in the morning, so that it warms up inside and defrosts the windows. :)

...but needs experience in digital and power electronics and mController design.
Which I don't have... o_O
My father is all about electronics, he would love this project, but he lives 3000 kms away.
His son turned out more of a software kind of guy. :D

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Even if you use ready made Arduino or other off-the-shelf controllers you will need some kind of interface electronics
one of them is the bluetooth module.. then you will need to amplify the controller's output because normally it can not drive the mechanical switches of the car.. so you need to boost the power from 5 volt to something compatible with the actuators' parameters.. not that easy, huh!

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I like @KMatle's approach but need to add a step:

B4X:
SUB McGyver(Action asString)
Select ActionCase"UnlockCar"
GetChewingGumPaper
BuildTool
UnlockCar
Run after person driving off in your car
SaveTheWorld
ENDSELECT
END SUB

This is something that I've dreamed of.

Nice cozy un-icicled car with clear windows to get into on the way to work.

I was thinking Arduino powered blowtorch but turning the car on and have it run a while is a lot less explosive.

Realistically we are talking nothing less than total control of the car's electronics...
and remembering to leave it out of gear :)

As cars become more electronic this might be something that you could sell, though at the moment asking people to solder bits all over the place might not work.

I expect the latest in vorshprung deutsch teknik might involve an onboard alarm clock allowing one to do this without unlocking the car but only gazzillionaires can afford one.

A lower-tech solution might be that if you can park your car in the driveway then stick a small fan heater in the back that you can turn on from in the house, but again coffee starved early morningers might forget to unplug it and drive off with sparks and wires trailing.

The answer to this is to feed the wire through the drivers door so when you go to get in, in your morning funk you will think 'what's this wire?' and remember to unplug it, as you have to climb over it to get into the car.

I can confirm though that shutting the wire in the door to a small fan heater doesn't damage the wire.

Not the door to the fan heater, the door to the car duh :D

Last edited:

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
In UK at least, its also illegal to leave a vehicle unattended (on the highway) whilst the engine is running. "Unattended" means not having someone who can legally drive the car sitting in the front seat.

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
yeah, I think you just made that up.

I could leave it at that and let you dedicate the whole rest of the night trying to find that particular law :) but I like you and would not want you to have to do that.

You can easily search for British law on this website:

legislation.gov.uk

and if it is a law then its stupid.

I'll just nip in to the house, Oh! now I'm charged with leaving the car running unattended... coz its cold....

Laws that you didn't even know that you'd be breaking.

Good old tax payers money well spent.

Honestly, if a guy from the past was brought to the future we'd have to educate him just to keep him from breaking made up laws.

A LAW should not be something that some politician pushes through just so that he can say 'I made that law' and notice the one-way thing about laws, once made they are never 'un made' so what does that mean? yes folks more and more rules that are impossible to know.

Hands up who knows of silly rules/laws?

Last edited: