Android Question Replace SQLite DB with Backup from Web Server

Kevin Hartin

Licensed User
I have a facility in my POS app that enables subscribers to backup their DB to a web server. This can then be restored or downloaded to another POS device.

The Upload and Download logic works fine, but I get the following error when I try to use the DB after restoring it.

error:
pagesuppliers$ResumableSub_lblRefreshSuppliers_Clickresume (java line: 877)
android.database.sqlite.SQLiteReadOnlyDatabaseException: attempt to write a readonly database (code 1032 SQLITE_READONLY_DBMOVED[1032])
    at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteConnection.nativeExecuteForChangedRowCount(Native Method)
    at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteConnection.executeForChangedRowCount(SQLiteConnection.java:1164)
    at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteSession.executeForChangedRowCount(SQLiteSession.java:756)
    at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteStatement.executeUpdateDelete(SQLiteStatement.java:66)
    at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDatabase.executeSql(SQLiteDatabase.java:2438)
    at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDatabase.execSQL(SQLiteDatabase.java:2359)
    at anywheresoftware.b4a.sql.SQL.ExecNonQuery(SQL.java:74)
    at com.bookingmy.travel.samoaPOS.pagesuppliers$ResumableSub_lblRefreshSuppliers_Click.resume(pagesuppliers.java:877)
    at anywheresoftware.b4a.BA.checkAndRunWaitForEvent(BA.java:267)
    at anywheresoftware.b4a.BA.raiseEvent2(BA.java:207)
    at anywheresoftware.b4a.keywords.Common$11.run(Common.java:1178)
    at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:938)
    at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
    at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:246)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:8512)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
    at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:602)
    at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:1139)

I save the file to TEMP.db, do an SQL.Close, Copy the file to POS.db, Delete TEMP.db and finally Initialise the SQL, but still get the error.

If I restart the POS app, it works fine with the new DB.

I am using B4Xpages, if that makes a difference...

Thanks,
Kev

Kevin Hartin

Licensed User
Try to copy and just replace ! Don’t close the object !
That works. I replaced the POS.db directly without and close or initialise.

I thought I was taking a more conservative approach by saving a copy, closing then deleting and re initialising

Thanks,
Kev

Upvote 0

Kevin Hartin

Licensed User
Note that if SQL journal mode is 'wal', which is the default mode in newer versions of Android, the database will be made of up to three files.
You should explicitly set the journal mode to DELETE after you open the database.
Should this be done immediately after SQL.Initialise?

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User

Upvote 0