B4J Question Reporting tool

DarkoT

Licensed User
Hi to all,
I need your help/suggestion... Need to create some desktop application, which need to have possibility to print some operative reports (like delivery notes, invoices, ...). Usually I used Jasper reports; but here is to much problems when I need to distribute app to linux and windows user computers... (I have created some example to test logic and with lot of @Erels help - thank for that - was on end to complicate to creating distribution packet - too much steps, ...). So I decide that will switch to another reporting tool which can be easy to implement and distribute in B4J platform; because - I want to stay on B4J!!! It's really nice programmers tool with great community (people making real world!)... And I want to be part of this world... So, please, suggest me which reporting tool should I use for creating a operative reporting (Invoices, Delivery notes, ...)

Best regards and thanks for help...

DaT

DarkoT

Licensed User
I use PDFJet to create my reports, then I open with default PDF Reader then proceed to printings.

PDFJet
Uf... Idea is okay, but - I need to have something like Jasper or Crystal reports... It's more easy to create reports and "call him" from app with some parameters... Jasper was ideal, but is to complicate to make distribution packet for users without Jasper studio and java installation...

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

See my comment in this link ( post 8 and 10 )

It does everything I need and produces some pretty funky reports from my tables.
I tried Jasper and after several months of struggle - lost what remained of my head hair.
NR saved my ass ( seems that is where my hair migrated to... )!
IMHO, there is B4X, ABM and NR - all get the job done with out any frustration. In the rare case when any of these frameworks don't work - it was always ME! (errors in my way).

Again, IMHO - anyone who develops outside these marvelous products are wasting so much of their precious time and energy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DarkoT

Licensed User
Crystal Reports would not work in Linux am I right?
YES! True! I was so frustrated with "battle Jasper" that I forgot to mention that I need solution in concrete case just for Win platform...

Upvote 0

DarkoT

Licensed User

See my comment in this link ( post 8 and 10 )

It does everything I need and produces some pretty funky reports from my tables.
I tried Jasper and after several months of struggle - lost what remained of my head hair.
NR saved my ass ( seems that is where my hair migrated to... )!
IMHO, there is B4X, ABM and NR - all get the job done with out any frustration. In the rare case when any of these frameworks don't work - it was always ME! (errors in my way).

Again, IMHO - anyone who develops outside these marvelous products are wasting so much of their precious time and energy.
Thank you @Harris for you suggestion... I will check NR and try to implement... If I will have some trouble, I will let you know... Thank you... ;)

Upvote 0

dw_b4x

I did a search for Next Reports. I could not find a link.
Do you know a current link to Next Reports
Do you know what the price structure is ??

Upvote 0

DarkoT

Licensed User
I did a search for Next Reports. I could not find a link.
Do you know a current link to Next Reports
Do you know what the price structure is ??
It's open source and it's free... You can find it on GitHub...

Link:
Server - https://github.com/nextreports/nextreports-server
Designer - https://github.com/nextreports/nextreports-designer

If you looking for alternative, You can check also Stimulsoft... I have no experience but on first look it's sound very interesting...

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
NR It seems to be without any developments in recent years.
True enough, but it still works.
I think of this as my learning curve - as with ABM.
It was difficult / strange at first - but then - the light shone in... It Works!

When one finds another report writer that can hold a candle to this - and is FREE, please let us all know...

Thx

Upvote 0