Restaurant Software Legal Requirements

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I guys...

I have a few ideas to create my own restaurant management software, but I wonder about what are the legal requirements for such software, specially tax and accounting related.
Any hints or tips? Where do I find myself these info's locally?

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think there's no simple manual for this as every country has it's own rules. Here in Germany it "depends on" :) I would store all taxes per item (here it's usually 19%). After that it's all about income taxes and how much you earn. Here you should ask a tax consultant. In the app I would do it dynamically (the admin can add taxes like handling, shipping, etc.)

For VAT (EU) see here: http://www.vatlive.com/vat-rates/european-vat-rates/eu-vat-rates/

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you both...

For starters, I will concentrate in the base functionality of my idea, and then plunge into that dark world when time comes...
I think this is the time for me to learn/use SQL

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think this is the time for me to learn/use SQL

My solution:

1. B4A App:

- using a 7-8" tablet for the waiters (easy to carry, cheap to buy for 50-60€) and 10" for the kitchen/bar
- login with the role (kitchen/waiter) defined in the admin app
- load everything (items, prices, etc.) from a server

2. Server

- It's a laptop running XAMP (Apache + php + MySql). Why laptop? It has a "build in" ups if the power fails :)
- Why php and MySql? Because it runs on every machine, even if you want it hosted. Every call via HttpUtils.
- B4J Admin Component (Define items, users, ...)
- VB .net is used to print the receipts on a cheap 25€ POS printer (works on WIN10!), This could be done with B4J, too

3. Workflow:

- when the app starts, the user must login (user & pw).
- via defined role (waiter/bar) I start the fitting activity
- all tables are show then -> select table -> show item categories (food/drinks, etc.) -> add item to order -> send order via HttpUtils
- with a timer the kitchen/bar will get a list of orders to serve. Via button "finished" the order will be marked as finished (in the db)
- the waiter get's a message to fetch the order (timer, too)
- When thecustomer wants to pay: table -> pay -> select all items or single select (if the party wants to pay for each person) -> print the receipt

4. Backup

MySQL helps you here with a backup command. Via https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/dump-zip-ftp-upload-a-mysql-db.65345/ I do a backup via B4J.

5. Statistics

Add some code for that (I added a sale's summary and to see what items is sold and how often)

6. Networking

Just use an WiFi-Router. Apache/Php/MySQL is running on the laptop. No internet connection needed.

If needed this can be switched to a hosted solution (if the owner wants to, e.g. severel stores or you need to check the system online) by just changing the address of the server. Very easy. 99% of cheap hosters support that (running B4J you need and more expensive server).

An Schi

Licensed User
I would try to cooperate:
Find a restaurant in the country you need, promise them your software for free in exchange of the needed tax informations ;)

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you want to hardcode the tax rates?
Why don't you just add a settings screen or menu item and let users decide the tax rate.. Then save the values somewhere as text file.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In Belgium some beverages have 6% while the food can be 12% and some luxury stuff 21%.

I think it's wise to be able to add your tax types somewhere in a settings menu and that they pop up as a select list in the products definition pages.