Wish Run to here

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
When I have a longer sub that I'm debugging I sometimes want to it to run several lines until I come to the next interesting place. Usually I do that by pounding F8 (step over) or F9 (step in) until I get to the right place. Sometimes I pound too many times and make my self irritated that I have to start over. Sometimes I set a new breakpoint where I want to stop and just let it run to that position. Then I remove the breakpoint.

One thing I've thought many times would help and make this more smooth is to have a "Run to here" command. The simplest way I can figure out would be to simply press SHIFT while click-setting a breakpoint. That would set a temporary breakpoint and automatically run. The breakpoint is automatically removed when we break, or when we leave the sub (because perhaps we didn't take that path in the code and never encountered the breakpoint).

(I have a vague memory of me seeing this feature in some other IDE many years ago. Perhaps 30 years or so, and perhaps it was CodeWarrior on a Mac.)

Last edited:

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
...and when this is set as a temporarily breakpoint, it should temporarily disable all the other breakpoints and turn them all pink in color (instead of red) to indicate that a "Run to this line" is active and all other breakpoints are temporarily suspended.