Android Question Breakpoints issue : apparently time-out at the IDE and kills the bridged install

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
I wonder if anyone has experienced this :
When I set a breakpoint and set the code running (Debug mode), the code installs via Bridge and the app installs on the phone side.
When I "hit the button" from the landing/menu page the called page/item rises and if that is where the breakpoint is the IDE stops on the breakpoint.
Then, within 15-20 seconds the IDE drops the breakpoint, highlight turns off as if timed out, and crashes the "installed" app on the phone side (returning to the Bridge display)

Frustrating when trying to figure stuff out.

There's no config or setting that we can set for time-out, its not the Process time-out configuration (that's something different).

so, its a bit baffling.

MicroDrie

Licensed User
Of course, there are many ways for something to go wrong. Without a simple piece of code where the problem occurs, it will be very difficult to help you. The first step is to determine whether the behavior you observed in your simple piece of code also occurs with us.

Upvote 0

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
Of course, there are many ways for something to go wrong. Without a simple piece of code where the problem occurs, it will be very difficult to help you. The first step is to determine whether the behavior you observed in your simple piece of code also occurs with us.
Thanks, I realised that the description is misleading. This happens when running Any debug process. It's not that the App code crashes; the IDE just shuts down after a short time at the breakpoint. If the breakpoint is moved to somewhere else in the code that same thing happens. It happens whatever project is loaded in the IDE. MAYBE I should bug-report it Erel and see what he thinks......thanks for your comments......

Upvote 0

MicroDrie

Licensed User
What happens if you compile a previously working program without any problems, does the same error occur? If so, there may be something wrong with your installed IDE environment. In that case, you can also completely remove it and reinstall it, following the installation steps carefully. You can also uninstall B4A-Bridge software on your phone/tablet and reinstall it.

Upvote 0

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
I did see this issue in the past but it is not consistent. It is not a simple timeout.

If you can reproduce it with a simple project then please upload it.
Thanks Erel, I will see what I can do. What I think I see is also inconsistent behaviour of the stopping so it might do it here but not for you. That would be a goat to chase around the yard.....t think I have a ln example project already on the forum. I will try a bit later. Stay safe......

Upvote 0

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
If you can reproduce it with a simple project then please upload it.
Here is the extracted project for you to test. I have left two randomly selected Breakpoints in the project which I think should be preserved when you load it. There are two comments I have added in case that does not happen. One is at Line #233 (Viewing module) and the other is a few lines above it. I just tried running another project, just to check its not specific to this example, and the same thing happens. ( I see in the Similar Threads list that there was a post Aug 30 2019 (@MitchBu) and Oct 9 2016 (@Steve Terrel) - haven't read them.)

EDIT - not sure but I think this started to happen with the 12.80 64bit install - can't swear in court to that but . .... it might help hint at issues for you......

Thanks for giving this your attention. Stay Safe.

Attachments

• testCards-Brkpoint-test.zip
    82.1 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
What happens if you compile a previously working program
Hello @MicroDrie you may have seen that @Erel replied to the thread and I have sent a project reduction for him to review.

Thanks for your input as well.....

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
1713245565857.png

Seems to work fine here. It waits for as long as I don't click on anything. Once I click on F8 it continues to the next line.

Upvote 0

MicroDrie

Licensed User
After unzipping your program with 7zip, it turned out that my IDE crashed because a file copy crashed first.

I solved that by creating a new program:
  1. Creating a new B4A program in a different subdirectory, you get the current manifest
  2. Add all program classes to the new program in the parent directory,
  3. Add all files from the old files directory to the new program files directory.
After this the program worked without any problems. For the sake of completeness, here are the versions used. If you do the same, everything should work normally.

1713247343532.png

Upvote 0

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I tested the program too, but it crashed.
I had to comment this line in the B4XMainPage module:
#CustomBuildAction: folders ready, %WINDIR%\System32\Robocopy.exe,"..\..\Shared Files" "..\Files"

Then I got this error:
Compiling resources Error
..\resources: error: failed to open directory: Le fichier spécifié est introuvable. (2).

Searching the forum I found that I had t comment this line in the Main module.
#AdditionalRes: ..\resources

After this, the program works as expected without a crash.

Upvote 0

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
Seems to work fine here.
Mmmm which means it's not going to be easy to work out what's happening on this side.......

Upvote 0