Android Question Scrollview/TabStrip

Lee Ingram

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am trying to scroll text while also using TabStrip. I am trying to develop a TabStrip help menu. That will scroll through the text.
I been working this for days, I've gone through many many examples. I have three pages and
each page contain labels with multiline text. I am truly missing something, and I need HELP.

Zip file attached

Attachments

• PPSHELP2.zip
    14 KB · Views: 448

Lee Ingram

Licensed User
Longtime User
What is the problem?
I am trying to scroll text while also using TabStrip. The selected text does not scroll completely, only a couple of lines. I have 3 tabs and each Tab has 3 or 4 buttons. Each Tab has 3 or 4 labels with text of varying lengths. I am trying to combine power of TabStrip and SrollView. I am also seeing a copy of the label in the foreground. I am so lost i am going in circles.

Upvote 0

Lee Ingram

Licensed User
Longtime User
You are loading the same layout file twice.
B4X:
TabStrip1.LoadLayout("Page1", "2x2 HELP")
scvtest.Panel.LoadLayout("Page1")
This means that there will be two set of views. Is it intended?
OK, I have removed the
scvtest.Panel.LoadLayout("Page1")

I can see the scroll bar in the background, but the text does not scroll. I am truly missing something. I have been working on this for hours and I am not getting anywhere. My goal is to be able to scroll all of the Help texts. But I am not having any fun just trying to scroll one text label. I've tried various attempts of .Visible true/Visible false and .RemoveViews at many different places. I am truly missing something.
I have tried to glean what I could from B4A: Rapid Android Development using BASIC. The TabStrip work GREAT, but I would really like to scroll through the text with the same font size. Thank you, Lee

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I too am confused...

If you need to do a .LoadLayout to add a "page" to the TabStrip, then if that layout has a scrollview in it, then how can you also do a scrollview.panel.loadlayout to load a layout into the scroll view beause there doesn't appear to be a way to access the scrollview object after it's host layout is loaded in the Tabstrip.

Bascially, I would like to use the tabstrip to create a multi-page help system, and each "page" of help will have text that is taller/longer then the height of the tab's page, so I need to be able to allow the user to scroll the text on each of the tabstrip "pages", and I assume you need to use a scrollview to do the scrolling.

It would be nice if I could just have one layout that has a scrollview in it and load this same layout over and over again for the desired number of pages:

TabStrip1.LoadLayout("PageSV","About App")
TabStrip1.LoadLayout("PageSV","Features")
TabStrip1.LoadLayout("PageSV","FAQ")

And then it would be nice to have some sort of a routine that could access the scrollview in each page separately:

GetPageSV(1).Panel.LoadLayout("AboutText")
GetPageSV(2).Panel.LoadLayout("FeatureText")
GetPageSV(3).Panel.LoadLayout("FAQText")

If there is a way to modify the below routine (I got from another thread) so it can return a list of the scrollview controls in the tabstrip, then we could do the above to load a different layout into each scrollview:

B4X:
Public Sub GetAllTabLabels (tabstrip As TabStrip) As List
   Dim jo As JavaObject = tabstrip
   Dim r As Reflector
   r.Target = jo.GetField("tabStrip")
   Dim tc As Panel = r.GetField("tabsContainer")
   Dim res As List
   res.Initialize
   For Each v As View In tc
     If v Is Label Then res.Add(v)
   Next
   Return res

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lee Ingram

Licensed User
Longtime User
@JohnCody please start a new thread for your question.

It is very simple to create scrollable text with TabStrip and CustomListView. Complete example with basically no code at all, is attached.
THANK YOU, I am working on it now. I will be adding button for each TabStrip. Thank you again, Lee

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0