Android Question Searching the Forum...

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by William Hunter, May 17, 2015.

1. William Hunter

William Hunter Active Member Licensed User

I can find no way of searching the forum. Whatever happened to the great B4A app for doing this? No longer having that capability is a great loss.

2. RandomCoder

RandomCoder Well-Known Member Licensed User

If you are referring to this http://www.b4x.com/android/forum/th...ew-and-search-the-documentation-offline.7393/ then it looks like it is no longer available and it is recommended to use the on-line search tool.
    If you are having difficulties locating the on-line search tool it might be because you need to scroll all the way to the right of the menu bar to see the search box when viewing on a phone or tablet. At least that's what happens on my devices, it's always much wider that the rest of the page :)

inakigarm likes this.
  3. DonManfred

DonManfred Expert Licensed User

Ye
    s. It is not funny to read the forum on a phone ;)

thedesolatesoul and RandomCoder like this.
  4. thedesolatesoul

thedesolatesoul Expert Licensed User

I hope you meant: "Its not fun to read the forum on a phone"
    Nevertheless it was funny!

5. RandomCoder

RandomCoder Well-Known Member Licensed User

I spend most of my time on the forum using either a phone or a tablet. Reading posts is not so bad but replying to or creating new threads can be a nightmare, especially when the predictive text kicks in, :mad:

thedesolatesoul likes this.
  6. Roger Daley

Roger Daley Well-Known Member Licensed User

I often resort to Google and enter "B4A query..... etc. ". It can be quicker than the forum search tool. A world info in the forum but not always easy to find.

7. William Hunter

William Hunter Active Member Licensed User

My thanks to all who replied. While I did appreciate starting my day with a few chuckles, as elicited by DonManfred and thedesolatesoul, RandomCoder was spot-on with his observations.

I do miss the B4A HelpViewer. It was like having an encyclopedia directed solely at B4A. What a great resource. I had a computer die, and when setting up a new system I was quite miffed that the HelpViewer was nowhere to be found.

thedesolatesoul and RandomCoder like this.
  8. Peter Simpson

Peter Simpson Expert Licensed User

@Erel used to have the Tapatalk plug-in connected to the old forum (2 forum designs ago). For some strange reason when Erel changed the forum a couple of years ago he never added the Tapatalk plug-in to that forum and he has not added it to this new updated forum design either. I find that to be a complete shame as I personally preferred to use the Tapatalk app on my phone rather than using the browser on my phone when browsing forums when I'm not in my house, I use Tapatalk with a number of forums on my phones and tablets. I have brought this topic up previously but it has fallen on deaf ears :(

It's not difficult to add the Tapatalk plug-in to XenFono forums templates and it only takes a few minutes to do. I know Erel is an extremely busy person, but IMO not having the Tapatalk plug-in connected to this community is a shame :(

9. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

The reasons that Tapatalk was not added are:

1. (major) There were many discussions in Xenforo community about security issues related to this plug-in.
    2. (minor) The search engine and other features (like similar threads) are custom features so they will not work at all with this plug-in.

10. Peter Simpson

Peter Simpson Expert Licensed User

I though that the security issues were all or mainly fixed @Erel, but then again there will always be issues with the Tapatalk plug-in and security, I've had small issues with that plug-in myself. Anyway that really does not matter as it's obvious that you will not be adding the plug-in in future, that's a real shame :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice