Tool Should a Lib Listing Thread be created?

Hi Guys...

I been fallowing the discussion on the chit-chat sub-forum about the creation of an off-line Lib categorization app...
I am willing to crawl this sub forum in search of all the available LIBs, Categorize them and list them in a single thread for easy finding.
So I put this Idea up to a poll...
This poll will close next Sunday

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel defends that the wiki is the appropriate place to list the additional Libs...
I would agree with that if it weren't for the significant amount of users with wiki entries that do not update their page and even worse, Lib devs that don't even have a wiki page...
I have seen too many posts recently, just asking where to find a lib or even wich lib to use for a particular purpose...
Be honest guys, how often do you visit the wiki?

All I'm defending is that, a In-Forum list would be more easily found and consulted that the wiki.

Yes, categorizing Libs will be hard to do, but not impossible, especially using Tags...

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'll thrown in my own two pence worth. The biggest problem I have, is not locating the libraries :D. It's knowing which is the right one as there's often several to choose from! :(

Some have been superseded by one's supporting newer Android versions and features, others have not been updated for a while and are possibly no longer actively developed or supported. Quite often I have to wade through several pages of postings to determine if it's the right library for me :mad:.

I'd love to have some utility that listed all the libraries under different categories and provided a visual indication of when the library was last updated along with a Min and Max Android version supported. That would be my utopia :rolleyes:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'll thrown in my own two pence worth. The biggest problem I have, is not locating the libraries :D. It's knowing which is the right one as there's often several to choose from! :(

Some have been superseded by one's supporting newer Android versions and features, others have not been updated for a while and are possibly no longer actively developed or supported. Quite often I have to wade through several pages of postings to determine if it's the right library for me :mad:.

I'd love to have some utility that listed all the libraries under different categories and provided a visual indication of when the library was last updated along with a Min and Max Android version supported. That would be my utopia :rolleyes:
My intention along with the online list is to have it replicated to a text file available to download for offline consulting.
I also intend, if I do create the thread, to PM devs in order to obtain status for individual libs, like the info you mentioned, as well as other important info...
It may not help to decide which lib to use in case of more than 1 that covers a subject, but it will help find which ones are still maintained.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So this poll was a complete disaster... only 16 votes... this is a comunity with well over 66k users...

But I try to honour my promises and so I will be creating a Lib Lis and try to categorise them as well as possible.
I hope to have it online by next sunday