Should I try to go full-time game dev?

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
This app duplicates the content and functionality of other apps submitted to the App Store, which is considered a form of spam. Apps that simply duplicate content or functionality create clutter, diminish the overall experience for the end user.

That is such an anticompetitive rule from Apple. Basically they're stopping competition between apps. Are they saying you can't make a new Twitter client if there's already a Twitter client on the store? It's interesting as Apple used to sell themselves as the computers for those who want to be "different", but now the Apple motto is "Conform or die".

yiankos1

Licensed User
Longtime User
This app duplicates the content and functionality of other apps submitted to the App Store, which is considered a form of spam. Apps that simply duplicate content or functionality create clutter, diminish the overall experience for the end user.

That is such an anticompetitive rule from Apple. Basically they're stopping competition between apps. Are they saying you can't make a new Twitter client if there's already a Twitter client on the store? It's interesting as Apple used to sell themselves as the computers for those who want to be "different", but now the Apple motto is "Conform or die".
I am so dissapointed with this situation... I don't even want to ask why. I have two apps at appstore that gives me a good amount of income and i am afraid to upload a new one, because review team could wake up a sunny morning and remove your app...

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe this forum needs a section for those of us making a good income from our apps and just want advice on how to increase that.

there is the Business forum aswell which is more suited for this question than the chit chat I guess.

the remark above is also kind of double.

Wouldn't it make more sense that big earners tell their secrets to everyone who don't?

It seems that you want the rich to make the less rich richer and not the poor ones :)

By the way haven't we gone through this 2 years ago aswell?

Someone had a remark about your old style games that some might not interested in.
I think that counts the other way around aswell. I know a lot of people who don't like the fancy looking games and prefer simple one.
So you're still good on that.

Also don't look at too much videos and just do what you think is best.
Most videos are clickbait and will generate more money for them than for you and who says that what they talk about is a real fact?

Keep on earning with your apps, Andy. 💰 X-mas is getting near so all extras are welcome for your kid(s)'s presents :)

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello there!
I've been there many many times... thinking if I should quit my job and try to go full time dev with my games.
My case is worst than yours, so I'd also look for some advice here. Due to Corona my job has gone worse and worse, making now the work of three people, without weekends nor hollidays. When I arrive home I don't have energies to continue programming, and I have many WIP games abandoned.
I have a game with almost 1M downloads, and other with more than 200K, I've made nice profit in the past, and I was thinking that if I spend 2hrs/day I can make X revenue, the logical thing would be that if I spend 8hrs/day I would make 4X, and so...
A problem I see here is Google itself (or Apple), if someday they decide you're violating whatever they can unpublish your game (one guy can decide that whatever thing in your game isn't suitable for kids or any other absurd thing), so your revenue can be close to zero from one day to another... it's very dangerous to depend on only one thing. You can make almost all your revenue from games, and try another things to make extra money (from dropshipping to cryptos, making webs for little companies, or whatever)
Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide, you're a smart guy and I'm sure things will go fine, Andy.
Regards