Android Question #SignKeyFile attribute and APK installation warning

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
HI, All

If i compile the app with 3rd-party #SignKeyFile and install the app with the same old package name - should it be just alert about "Update app version ?" ?

The key password and alias are known, the compilation process is OK, but during installation over previous app version (from a different developer) the B4A IDE warns about different certificate of the installed app, asking to confirm uninstallation first.
Is it something wrong ?
I expect just update alert as usual during higher #VersionCode installation.

Last edited:

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
should it be just alert about "Update app version ?" ?
No. As the app has another signkey you have to deinstall the old app and install it new with the new signkey....

Upvote 0

jahswant

Licensed User
Longtime User
The key password and alias are known, the compilation process is OK, but during installation over previous app version (from a different developer) the B4A IDE warns about different certificate of the installed app, asking to confirm uninstallation first.
This simply means that the 2 keys are not same.
Ohhhhh they may be if the app on the device was downloded from PlayStore.
Try to compile without installing on the device if you fear to loose your data. Then upload to PlayStore to confirm that they have the same key.

Upvote 0

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
if the app on the device was downloded from PlayStore
I'm playing now with various APKs: i have received the previous APK version from the customer directly (not from Play Market), and the key file. And trying to install one over another, my version and his version.

If just "adb install x.apk" - no update, always error message that
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS: Attempt to re-install APP without first uninstalling.]

If to use "-r" parameter - installed silently at once even if different key sign. Sure, smaller #VersionCode does not allow updating.

How does Play Market installs the updates ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0