iOS Question Simulator release app - Different layout

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I am facing a problem which I cannot explain by no mean. In iPad Air and iPad Air 2 (layout value width = 768 > 700) I load a different 2nd layout. I have added both in 1st layout and 2nd layout a button. I can see the added button in the designer in both layouts and in all variants in every layout and also the same code in every variant in the correct position. There is layout variant for 768x1024 which I checked is the variant also in the simulator. In appetize.io I see the button in all the devices but in iPad Air and iPad Air 2 I do not see it. I cannot figure out at all what I might be missing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

PS. I use the hosted builder

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
In appetize.io ... PS. I use the hosted builder
Hey, did you get this combination working ?!?!?! What size are the screenshots that you get back from it, especially for the iPhone 5.5" app store 1242-pixel-wide requirement?

Re: buttons not showing up: have you tried loading the (iPhone) working layout in place of the iPad not-working layout? Granted, it'll look like crap on-screen, but: if the buttons show up with one layout but not the other, then you're one step closer to fixing it. Perhaps you could even cut-and-paste the buttons from the working layout to the non-working layout.

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi emexes,

Re1: From b4i version 5.80 while working with the Hosted Builder there is the option Build Simulator Release app. When you click on it it sends the project to hosted builder it is compiled as simulator release and you have to download last build. Then all you have to do is upload the downloaded tmp.zip in your apps' objects folder to appetize.io and you are good to go. A 100 minutes for free every month - good enough to take snapshots of your apps' final releases... What you will do when you download the screenshots is download the Windows application Photoscape. You also go to Apple and bookmark the web page with the images specifications in the dimensions for each device. Then with Photoscape with batch editor you transform the corresponding downloaded screenshots to the correct dimensions on the fly with just one click. There is also the option to save the configuration of batch editing and reload it for later screenshots. I am not absolutely sure about that but I suppose that you have to use the 100% zoom level for your screenshots in appetize.io .

Re2: In the second layout (iPad) I use a high resolution image which was asked by Apple in order to approve my app as suitable for Retina screens. I cannot do that. What I can do is delete the variant and recreate it suppose... Maybe I will also your second suggestion...

Thanks

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
which was asked by Apple in order to approve my app as suitable for Retina screens.
Yeah, some of the bars they make us jump are a bit... higher than necessary, I feel. But it's their business, and only makes our apps better, so... rightio, then :-/
I cannot do that.
You can't use high resolution images? Why? Is it a memory issue? Are the image files too large? Are they photos? Can you generate the images by program, or use a paletted PNG which will reduce down non-photographic images quite significantly?
What I can do is delete the variant and recreate it suppose...
I wouldn't expect that to fix the issue, because variants only affect the size and position of the views, not any of the other attributes, but... no harm in trying, and you never know... sometimes crazy s**t works ;-)

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can't use high resolution images? Why? Is it a memory issue? Are the image files too large? Are they photos? Can you generate the images by program, or use a paletted PNG which will reduce down non-photographic images quite significantly?

I wouldn't expect that to fix the issue, because variants only affect the size and position of the views, not any of the other attributes, but... no harm in trying, and you never know... sometimes crazy s**t works ;-)

You are right. With the "I cannot do that" part I was referring to the fact that the second layout has the high resolution image. The fact is that if the 1st layout works I am too lazy of rebuilding the second layout from the first. I already have the app approved on AppStore but when I added to the 2nd layout the Button in appetize.io it shows everything on but the button.

Edit - The real truth is that I am a total jackass because... I forgot to set the images of the button!!!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::):):):):):):):):):):)

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
download the screenshots ... transform the corresponding downloaded screenshots to the correct dimensions ... high resolution image which was asked by Apple
Hey, is it possible that the Apple request came about because the screenshot was fuzzy due to it being an enlargement of the (low) resolution and lossy compression of the appetize.io source screenshot? In which case, even if you do use a higher-resolution image, the resultant screenshot won't be any sharper. But again: no harm in trying, and you never know...

The screenshots I upload to the App Store are (scaled up) from an iPhone 5S which are 640 x 1136 cf Appetize.io 414 x 736.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
Edit - The real truth is that I am a total jackass because... I forgot to set the images of the button!!!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::):):):):):):):):):):)
Lol. We've all done stuff like that under pressure at some point, so you're no Robinson Crusoe with that. Welcome to the club, if it's your first mistake ;-)

Upvote 0