Share My Creation Solar Heating - circulating pump control

Something that worked for more than 40 years broke and I had to find a replacement. I want to show what I did.
Background:
Solar heating systems (for houses) can either be autonomous, where the water circulation is done by itself - hot water go up because it is lighter than the cold. Here the tank is above the receptors.
1580238151384.png

Where the tank is below the receptors, you need to circulate the water with a pump. You don't want to circulate it all the time, only when the water in the receptor is warmer than what is in the tank.
For this there is a controller (that broke down in my system).
1580238375907.png

The controller compares the resistance of two thermistors which are inside the receptors and the tank and turns a relay on or off.

Implementation:
See post #5 for an improvement !

I checked the resistance of the two thermistors and it was about 70K ohm, so I connected each to 100K ohm resistor, and measured the middle point.
The measured analog value when connected to an "A" pin is 1023 * R1/(100k+R1) and the same for R2.
I used Arduino Nano.
I added a 4 digits & segment to show the value all the time for calibration.
In the code I measure both values every 5 seconds and calculate the mean of the difference every 30 seconds , showing this result in the display.
I could not get negative numbers to show correctly so I added 500 to every result.

1580239497177.png

This is how it actually looks, the relay pins are covered for protection - there is 220v there, removed just for the photo. I'll probably put it all in a nice box when I'll get a
round tuit...

1580239840491.png

For calibration I checked the result when the time was right to turn on the pump and when it should be turned off and set these limits in the code:
B4X:
Sub Process_Globals
    'These global variables will be declared once when the application starts.
    'Public variables can be accessed from all modules.
    Public Serial1 As Serial
    Private roof, boiler, relay As Pin
    Private tmr As Timer
    Private tm As TM1637Display
    Private count As UInt = 0
    Dim dif As Int

End Sub

Private Sub AppStart
    Serial1.Initialize(115200)
    Log("AppStart")
    roof.Initialize(roof.A0, roof.MODE_INPUT)
    boiler.Initialize(boiler.A5, boiler.MODE_INPUT)
    tmr.Initialize("tmr_Tick", 5000)
    tmr.enabled = True
    tm.Initialize(2,3)

relay.Initialize(6,relay.MODE_OUTPUT)  ' needs logic converter to work, need 5v
    relay.DigitalWrite(True)

End Sub

Sub tmr_tick
    count = (count + 1) Mod 6

Dim b,r As Int

b = boiler.AnalogRead
    r = roof.AnalogRead
    dif = dif + r - b + 500  ' +500 to eliminate negative numbers
    Log(r , "  ",b, "  ",dif )

If count = 0 Then
        dif = dif/6
        Log(dif)
        tm.ShowNumberDec(dif)
        If dif < 300 Then
            relay.DigitalWrite(False)
            Log("switch on")
        else If dif > 350 Then
            relay.DigitalWrite(True)
            Log("switch off")
        Else
            Log("no change")
        End If
        dif = 0
    End If
End Sub

Last edited:

Acuario

Licensed User
Longtime User
Nice simple project, I have two controllers operating using esp8266 so wifi connected but written in c++ not b4r.

Depending on where you live climate wise, it might be worth adding a frost protect subroutine. I live in a zone where it rarely drops below zero but it just takes one very cold night to freeze and split the pipes in the solar collector.

In my controller I turn on the circulating pump for a short while (a minute) if I detect the temperature is around 1 degree.

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Depending on where you live climate wise, it might be worth adding a frost protect subroutine. I live in a zone where it rarely drops below zero but it just takes one very cold night to freeze and split the pipes in the solar collector.
Never the case here and with global warming I don't expect it to change.

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
While working on the looks of the project on the wall I found a simpler way:
I got rid of the two 100k resistors, connected the thermistors in the roof and tank in series, one side to ground and the other to 5V and measure the voltage in the middle (connected to pin A5). The voltage changes as the temperatures of the resistors vary so I had to see the values for starting the pump and stopping it and set it to the application.

Last edited: