B4J Question [Solved] [ABMaterial] - using https (secure)

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
myApp.StartServerHTTP2(srvr, "srvr", port, 443,"keystore","b12xxxxx","b12xxxxx" ) ' port = 51046
Is this correct?

I purchased SSL cert from SSLs.com (namecheap)...

I had my VPS provider setup the certs on my VPS.
I created a keystore (named keystore) according to this command - and answering questions...

keytool -keystore keystore -alias jetty -genkey -keyalg RSA

Updated server with new jar and rebooted. The jar did start on the server, however
now I can't run the app in my browser.

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
This product Aprelium - Abyss Web Server provides auto renewal of certs. I am by no means an expert in this field of SSL certs, but is it not possible that we can build an app/service to do this. Both myself and @Harris have said we would be willing to pay for such a solution. I also think that it would benifit the community/ABM and B4X. @sfsameer would would consider this as a new app ?

We as a company are planning a whole suite for ABM tools for our customer base, which is quite large, but the hassle fo cert renewals if quite off putting.

Regards

John.

Upvote 0

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
but the hassle fo cert renewals if quite off putting
That is why we took a hosting service who does take care of everything for us and just pay them ;). As we serve thens of thousands of users and we want to guarantee maximum up time and optimal load balancing, trying to do this ourselves was not an option so we left it to the real experts in this field.

Alwaysbusy

Upvote 0

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
That is why we took a hosting service who does take care of everything for us and just pay them ;). As we serve thens of thousands of users and we want to guarantee maximum up time and optimal load balancing, trying to do this ourselves was not an option so we left it to the real experts in this field.

Alwaysbusy

Under windows what the the best method(paid/free) for having ABM apps running without having to stop the app to do a keystore update and restart the app when the cert needs renewing ?

Upvote 0

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
without having to stop the app to do a keystore update and restart the app
no idea for windows, we use Linux.

One thing you could try is stopping the jServer (not the jar), reload the new certificate and then restart the jServer. something like this:

B4X:
' stop the Server
Dim joServer As JavaObject = srvr
joServer.GetFieldJO("server").RunMethod("stop", Null)

' load the new SSL
Dim ssl As SslConfiguration
ssl.Initialize
ssl.SetKeyStorePath(File.DirApp, SSLKeyStoreFileName) 'path to keystore file
ssl.KeyStorePassword = SSLKeyStorePassword
ssl.KeyManagerPassword = SSLKeyManagerPassword
srvr.SetSslConfiguration(ssl, SSLsvrPort)

' re-start the server
joServer.GetFieldJO("server").RunMethod("start", Null)

Maybe my ABCron lib can be some help to do this at a certain time: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/web-app-with-mssql-database.71243/post-455994

Alwaysbusy

Upvote 0

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
no idea for windows, we use Linux.

One thing you could try is stopping the jServer (not the jar), reload the new certificate and then restart the jServer. something like this:

B4X:
' stop the Server
Dim joServer As JavaObject = srvr
joServer.GetFieldJO("server").RunMethod("stop", Null)

' load the new SSL
Dim ssl As SslConfiguration
ssl.Initialize
ssl.SetKeyStorePath(File.DirApp, SSLKeyStoreFileName) 'path to keystore file
ssl.KeyStorePassword = SSLKeyStorePassword
ssl.KeyManagerPassword = SSLKeyManagerPassword
srvr.SetSslConfiguration(ssl, SSLsvrPort)

' re-start the server
joServer.GetFieldJO("server").RunMethod("start", Null)

Maybe my ABCron lib can be some help to do this at a certain time: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/web-app-with-mssql-database.71243/post-455994

Alwaysbusy
Thanks, I'll give that a try @OliverA

Upvote 0

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm looking further into how we could get the Let's Encrypt Certificate through code...

Alwaysbusy
The abyss web server, does it get the .crt file delived to C:\Abyss Web Server\kcstore folder or some other folder, if so we can monitor it and if the file has changed then some how create a new keystore file using it, would this be possible ?

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok I have been able to do what certbot can do, but with B4X code. I received a domain-chain.crt on my Raspberry Pi 4:

1614260568150.png

B4X:
Sub AppStart (Args() As String)
    Dim client As ABACMEClient
    client.Initialize("./html/") '<--- here I had to search where my 'entry point' in my webserver was (it was var/www/html and not var/www/)

Dim domains As List
    domains.Initialize

domains.Add("banano.always-busy.com")
    Log(client.fetchCertificate(domains))

StartMessageLoop
End Sub

Alwaysbusy

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User