Android Question Solved: How to insert or update NULL in Sqlite with ExecNonQuery2

ernschd

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

I have a query that is to be used for 4 different options. The parameters differ depending on the option. The problem is that sometimes NULL is to be entered in different fields.
So far there have therefore been 4 different queries.

Here is a simplified example:
B4X:
Select condition
    Case 0
        SQL.ExecNonQuery2("INSERT INTO Test(CustomerID, State, Invoice, Date) VALUES (?, NULL, ?, ?)", Array As String(NewID, Invoice, DateTime.Date(DateTime.Now))) 'State = NULL, Invoice = 1
    Case 1
        SQL.ExecNonQuery2("INSERT INTO Test(CustomerID, State, Invoice, Date) VALUES (?, ?, NULL, ?)", Array As String(NewID, State, DateTime.Date(DateTime.Now))) ' State = 0, Invoice = NULL
    Case 2
        SQL.ExecNonQuery2("INSERT INTO Test(CustomerID, State, Invoice, Date) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?)", Array As String(NewID, State, Invoice, DateTime.Date(DateTime.Now))) ' State = 1, Invoice = 0
End Select
Since NULL can occur in different variants of State and Invoice, the whole thing becomes quite confusing.

It would be nice if there was only one query instead:
B4X:
Dim State As Object = NULL
Dim Invoice As Object = NULL
If Condition = 0 Then Invoice = 1
SQL.ExecNonQuery2("INSERT INTO Test(CustomerID, State, Invoice, Date) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?)", Array As String(NewID, State, Invoice, DateTime.Date(DateTime.Now)))
Unfortunately, I cannot change the table and set the default value to NULL.

Is there a better solution?
Thanks in advance.

walt61

Licensed User
Longtime User
Haven't tested this, but shouldn't this do what you need, e.g. for Case 0?
B4X:
SQL.ExecNonQuery2("INSERT INTO Test(CustomerID, Invoice, Date) VALUES (?, ?, ?)", Array As String(NewID, Invoice, DateTime.Date(DateTime.Now))) 'State = NULL, Invoice = 1

I.e.: just leave the 'State' column out of the equation, including its placeholder question mark?

Upvote 0

ernschd

Licensed User
Longtime User
But I only want one query for all cases. With this solution, I need several again, depending on the case.

Upvote 0

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
But I only want one query for all cases

Here is another possibility to think about. Using IIF in the parameters array:
B4X:
Dim strQuery As String = "INSERT INTO Test(CustomerID, State, Invoice, Date) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?)"
SQL1.ExecNonQuery2(strQuery, Array As Object(newID, IIf(Invoice =Null, 0, state), IIf(state= Null, 1, Invoice), DateTime.Date(DateTime.Now)))
Again, without your DB and code , it is not fully tested. You can polish it.

Upvote 0

ernschd

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you, but I want to insert NULL in Sqlite. With your solution this is not possible, either.

Upvote 0

walt61

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just tested this with B4J - YMMV with B4A as I've seen subtle differences between the two when using SQLite, but this worked and produced a row with NULL values:
B4X:
sql1.ExecNonQuery2("INSERT INTO [Tbl] (Field1, Field2, Field3) VALUES(?, ?, ?)", Array(Null, Null, Null))

In other words, use 'Array' for the parameters, not 'Array As String'. You'll have to test if it acts the same in B4A!

Upvote 0

ernschd

Licensed User
Longtime User
What type of field do you have? For me it is NUMERIC.
With "Array" instead of "Array As String" there appears "0" instead of "NULL" in the corresponding field.

Upvote 0

ernschd

Licensed User
Longtime User
@walt61: Thank you very much, your project has put me on the right track! My mistake was that I declared the variables as "String" in my test project. After changing to type "Object", NULL is inserted as desired.
Many thanks to all of you!

Upvote 0

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My mistake was that I declared the variables as "String" in my test project. After changing to type "Object", NULL is inserted as desired.
Glad you solved your problem. But, I already used Object instead of string in post #9. Apparently, you did not test it. That is what happens when an OP gets bombarded with posts. Some get overlooked and the OP gets overwhelmed.

Upvote 0