Android Question (Solved) Trouble when desugaring AAR libs

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I need to desugarize a couple of AARs that will be referenced from a B4A project.

I've followed the process indicated HERE and I get an error in the 'desugarizing' phase of the process

B4J logs:
Waiting for debugger to connect...
Program started.
extract
merge
desugar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalStateException
    at com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkState(Preconditions.java:491)
    at com.google.devtools.build.android.desugar.Desugar.desugarClassesInInput(Desugar.java:620)
    at com.google.devtools.build.android.desugar.Desugar.desugarOneInput(Desugar.java:449)
    at com.google.devtools.build.android.desugar.Desugar.desugar(Desugar.java:391)
    at com.google.devtools.build.android.desugar.Desugar.main(Desugar.java:974)

I tried to run this step from the command line to see if I could get more info, and indeed I got a big log, but nothing that I can understand
Command line logs:
C:\Develop\Utils\DS\Files>java -verbose -jar ..\Desugar_deploy.jar --bootclasspath_entry=C:\Develop\Basic4Android\android-sdk-windows\platforms\android-28\android.jar --input=merged.jar --output=converted.jar

[Opened C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\lib\rt.jar]
[Loaded java.lang.Object from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\lib\rt.jar]
[Loaded java.io.Serializable from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\lib\rt.jar]
[Loaded java.lang.Comparable from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\lib\rt.jar]
[Loaded java.lang.CharSequence from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\lib\rt.jar]

(.......skipping several hundreds of similar lines.......)

[Loaded org.objectweb.asm.Frame from file:/C:/Develop/Utils/DS/Desugar_deploy.jar]
[Loaded org.objectweb.asm.CurrentFrame from file:/C:/Develop/Utils/DS/Desugar_deploy.jar]
[Loaded org.objectweb.asm.Type from file:/C:/Develop/Utils/DS/Desugar_deploy.jar]
[Loaded java.util.Vector$Itr from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\lib\rt.jar]
Exception in thread "main" [Loaded java.lang.Throwable$PrintStreamOrWriter from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\lib\rt.jar]
[Loaded java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\lib\rt.jar]
[Loaded java.util.IdentityHashMap$KeySet from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\lib\rt.jar]
java.lang.IllegalStateException
        at com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkState(Preconditions.java:491)
        at com.google.devtools.build.android.desugar.Desugar.desugarClassesInInput(Desugar.java:620)
        at com.google.devtools.build.android.desugar.Desugar.desugarOneInput(Desugar.java:449)
[Loaded java.util.IdentityHashMap$IdentityHashMapIterator from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\lib\rt.jar]
[Loaded java.util.IdentityHashMap$KeyIterator from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\lib\rt.jar]
[Loaded java.nio.file.SimpleFileVisitor from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\lib\rt.jar]
[Loaded com.google.devtools.build.android.desugar.Desugar$2 from file:/C:/Develop/Utils/DS/Desugar_deploy.jar]
[Loaded java.nio.file.FileVisitOption from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\lib\rt.jar]
[Loaded java.nio.file.FileTreeWalker from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\lib\rt.jar]
[Loaded java.util.RegularEnumSet$EnumSetIterator from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\lib\rt.jar]
[Loaded java.nio.file.FileTreeWalker$DirectoryNode from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\lib\rt.jar]
[Loaded java.nio.file.FileTreeWalker$Event from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\lib\rt.jar]
[Loaded java.nio.file.FileTreeWalker$EventType from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\lib\rt.jar]
[Loaded java.nio.file.Files$3 from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\lib\rt.jar]
[Loaded java.nio.file.FileVisitResult from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\lib\rt.jar]

C:\Develop\Utils\DS\Files>

Any hint will be welcome, I'm totally stuck in this.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Which java library do you want to implement? which aars are you using in the desugerprocess?

Upvote 0

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Don,

I can't upload the files for NDA reasons. I'm aware that, without info, it's really difficult to get clues --> I posted the error logs just in case it was one of those situations where a given error was due to some 'known' general reason, or someone had experienced it with another library and the workaround to solve it could give me some hints.
  • There are 2 aar files from the provider. Haven't wrapped anything on them yet.
  • Their AS sample project builds and works correctly against SDK29.
  • At this first stage, I just added the aar files (either together or separately) to an empty B4A project, in order to test some functionalities via Inline Java/JavaObject.
  • Before adding any code, just with the #AdditionalJar declarations, I tried to compile the B4A project (with both minSDK 28 and 29) and gave me the famous error that indicated me that I needed to desugar the aars.
  • So I used the Desugar B4J utility to do it. The process fails on the 'desugar' phase, throwing the errors posted above.
  • Have googled for them, and they appear in some crash error reports of other unrelated libraries, but can't see anything.

Will ask the project owner to get permission to send these files privately if this helps.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I can't upload the files for NDA reasons
np.

Have you tried to update your java 8 installation with a newer release? 1.8.2xx
Or even try with java 11?

My answer is based on the endless references to rt.jar from your java 8

Upvote 0

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks to @DonManfred's help, who ran the desugar process with different Java versions, now we have a 'less cryptic' log. Still doesn't work, but hopefully give some useful info

Logs with Java 8.202
Logs with Java 8.202:
extract
merge
desugar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.TypeNotPresentException: Type kotlin.jvm.functions.Function1 not present
at sun.invoke.util.BytecodeDescriptor.parseSig(BytecodeDescriptor.java:85)
at sun.invoke.util.BytecodeDescriptor.parseMethod(BytecodeDescriptor.java:63)
at sun.invoke.util.BytecodeDescriptor.parseMethod(BytecodeDescriptor.java:41)
at java.lang.invoke.MethodType.fromMethodDescriptorString(MethodType.java:1067)
at com.google.devtools.build.android.desugar.LambdaDesugaring$InvokedynamicRewriter.visitInvokeDynamicInsn(LambdaDesugaring.java:406)
at org.objectweb.asm.ClassReader.readCode(ClassReader.java:2235)
at org.objectweb.asm.ClassReader.readMethod(ClassReader.java:1275)
at org.objectweb.asm.ClassReader.accept(ClassReader.java:679)
at org.objectweb.asm.ClassReader.accept(ClassReader.java:391)
at com.google.devtools.build.android.desugar.Desugar.desugarClassesInInput(Desugar.java:618)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Class kotlin.jvm.functions.Function1 not found
at com.google.devtools.build.android.desugar.io.HeaderClassLoader.findClass(HeaderClassLoader.java:53)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:424)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:357)
at sun.invoke.util.BytecodeDescriptor.parseSig(BytecodeDescriptor.java:83)
... 12 more

Logs with Java11
Logs with Java 11:
extract
merge
desugar
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by com.google.devtools.build.android.desugar.Desugar (file:/D:/Basic4android3/Desugar_deploy.jar) to field java.lang.invoke.InnerClassLambdaMetafactory.dumper
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of com.google.devtools.build.android.desugar.Desugar
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException: Failed to register lambda dump directory 'C:\Users\MANFRE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\lambdas15488322250951725317'
at com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkNotNull(Preconditions.java:980)
at com.google.devtools.build.android.desugar.Desugar.verifyLambdaDumpDirectoryRegistered(Desugar.java:983)
at com.google.devtools.build.android.desugar.Desugar.main(Desugar.java:968)

As a side note, I've run jdeps to find the dependencies of the merged.jar from one of the aar files. Not sure how they affect the desugar process.

These dependencies, besides the ones that are in the same jar, are: from classes of the other aar, also kotlin, bouncycastle and a couple more.

Can anyone shed some light according to this new info? In case these dependencies (Kotlin and/or others) are needed for the desugar process, how can they be added? I hope that the question makes sense.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
New infos.

1. I´m at Home now and tried it here.
2. I added
B4X:
    Private kotlin As String = "E:\Desugar\kotlin-stdlib-1.3.41.jar"
    Private kotlin2 As String = "E:\Desugar\kotlin-stdlib-jdk8-1.3.41.jar"
to the desugar process

B4X:
Sub Desugar
    Log("desugar")
    Run(javaExe, Array("-jar", DesugarJar, _
    "--bootclasspath_entry=" & AndroidJar, _
    "--bootclasspath_entry=" & kotlin, _
    "--bootclasspath_entry=" & kotlin2, _
    "--input=Merged.jar", "--output=../Converted.jar"))

End Sub

extract
merge
desugar
Remove classes.jar
Removing from: mobilekeys-android-sdk-release-7.3.1.aar
Removing from: origo-sdk-release-1.4.1.aar
Done!

I´ve updated your drive folder with the result

Make sure to download (and use) the updated AARs from your Drive folder....

Last edited:
Upvote 0