Some questions on designing (from a newbie)

LadyAth

Licensed User
Longtime User
:sign0104:

I bought Basic4Android over the weekend after being unable to really get going with Eclipse and first off I just need to say that B4A is /much/ easier to work with - especially when the the only thing you know about programming is a few definitions and some very basic SQL queries. Yay me. But being an optimist, I am looking to build a RPG character journal app.

So far I have created a landing acitivity (the main) and 3 other activities that link from it via buttons. No doubt I will be posting here often with questions, but as a first post, I am hoping for some help on the following:

1) First question is about designing. Those of you familiar with an RPG character sheet would know that it is a very busy face with lots of places for stats, descriptions, etc. My first activity page would be where someone would create a new character. I am assuming best would be to use SQLLite for this and I have already created a .db file with all my fields etc. But what would be the best way to design the interface? Panels with loads of lables and single-line edittexts? Maybe tab hosts? More importantly, if a user completes (for example) 20 edittext boxes, how would I send all of the info to the bd file? One by one? Or is it possible to send all the info to the db when the user switches to the next tab? Sorry, but I am really lost on approach!

2) Second activity would be for looking at or editing a character that was created in activity 1. Again I would appreciate some advice on how to approach this. Especially on how to display when I have one table with most of the info, some lookup tables and a few additional tables with more character info (table for merits, flaws, weapons equipped, etc). The tutorials all seem to be focussed on using one table. How can I display a character sheet in a workable way? At this time I am only planning on supporting 10" tablets (landscape mode!) and I am hoping there is a practical way to do this - and make it look pretty.

My third activity is all sorted thanks to the tutorials and posts on creating a note-keeping capability :)

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

LadyAth

Licensed User
Longtime User
I did see the following in SQL info:

B4X:
Sub InsertManyRows
    SQL1.BeginTransaction
    Try
        For i = 1 To 500
            SQL1.ExecNonQuery2("INSERT INTO table1 VALUES ('def', ?, ?)", Array As Object(i, i))
        Next
        SQL1.TransactionSuccessful
    Catch
        Log(LastException.Message)
    End Try
    SQL1.EndTransaction
End Sub

But...ehm...no idea how to implement that. I do not understand the For i or the part after the 'def' in the SQL statement.

Upvote 0