B4J Question SQL development friendly enviroment... (need advice)

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys,

Following up on my quest to get started with RDC, I came to the following conclusion(s):

1. I will always need a midleware of some kind, being it B4J (JRDC) or PHP based.
  2. Theses midleware use "static" calls to the data base (I cannot change the query itself, only the passed parameters), so for any number of unique queries I will need the same number of PHP scripts or define the query in a config file
These are not very developement friendly solutions... It seems to me that a try/fail approach is not easy to implement, as it will not sufice to change the "client side" code, but also the "server side" calls.

So I ask you, how do you cope with it?

I am considering creating a "temporary" SQLite local DB for development and defining my needed calls, and then find a way of converting that DB into MySQL and "export" my queries for easy handling and adding to the server.

What do you guys think?

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
My first recomendation is to use HeidiSQL

Second, while you are not in production, you may want to open your DB of your VPS for outside connection: this will give you an approach on how fast is your app making the calls.

Third, while mysql and Sqlite use a very similar syntax you will have a lot of problems translating parts of your SQL statements.

Fourth, be aware of tools like SSH and XRDP, also, B4J bridge is AWESOME for testing both the server and client solutions.

I mentioned in the other thread, i also have a 1and1 VPS server and was very easy to configure.

Upvote 0

keirS

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can run a full MySQL server on your Android device if you want. I currently use this one which is actually MariaDB which is pretty much 100% compatible with MySQL. You can also run a PHP server. Servers Ultimate Pro is a paid for app that allows you to run many different servers (web, MySql, MongoDB, FTP) etc.

Upvote 0

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It's more about designing the db/tables than the tool. Usually you have 5 or 6 tables with their insert/update/delete statements.

I have several db projects. On a new one I just copy an existing db and php script and change the parameters. Very easy and fast. Same in RDC.

Upvote 0