Android Question SQLite3 FTS5 for B4X

texwillerx

Licensed User
Longtime User
There is an Android SQLite support library project in github.

Unfortunately, the "Usage" section in this page is totally Chinese for me.

If one of the "B4X Experts" kindly create a B4X library from this project (or at least give a more simple explanation to incorporate this project in a B4X project), I am sure several B4X developers will be extremely happy.

Best regards and thanks to everyone who will help.

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you just need support for extra capabilities of SQLite, then look into using SQLCipher. It supports more SQLite extensions than the SQLite furnished by Android's bundled version of SQLite. You do not have to use the encryption features in order to use the additional capabilities.

Upvote 0

texwillerx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you very much for reply.

Unfortunately, I have several databases which are used in Windows, WEB and Android. I use same database for all of these platforms.

If I use SQLCipher for Android, I have to convert existing databases since SQLCipher database format is not compatible with the standard format which will result in extra work for every update.

This is why I and other developers need a standard implementation of SQLite for Android with FTS5 extension enabled.

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If I use SQLCipher for Android, I have to convert existing databases since SQLCipher database format is not compatible with the standard format which will result in extra work for every update.
Does it?
SQLCipher is also compatible with standard SQLite databases. When a key is not provided, SQLCipher will behave just like the standard SQLite library.
Source: https://github.com/sqlcipher/sqlcipher

Upvote 0

texwillerx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you very much OliverA!

I have read Android database encryption with SQLCipher library where it says

Not compatible by default with databases created with older versions

Also, in SQLCipher 4.0.0 Release it says

"Thus, SQLCipher 4 will not open older databases by default. As always, we have updated our migration feature to streamline the upgrade process. To enable backwards-compatibility, it is possible to adjust settings at runtime or migrate older databases:"

Shame of me! I didn't realize that these statements are related for encrypted databases. If I have looked to github, I would find the answer to my problem.

Thank you very much for informing me about the compatibility.

You saved several hours of my time.

Regards.

Upvote 0

jcmartini

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm using FTS5 with SQLCipher (without password) and it works fine. You can easily convert your database to fts5. I think that your question is for SQLite and not for B4X. For example for the DBBrowser for workstation you have 2 different applications: one for SQLite "standard" and another one for SQLite with fts5. fts5 is really easy to use and set scanning of table very easy and efficient.

Upvote 0