iOS Question Symbolication of TestFlight crash logs - How to do it?

Turbo3

Licensed User
Longtime User
I use TestFlight for testing my apps. There is a Tutorial by Erel on how to add symbols given you have the crash report files and a Mac. I have a Mac running Xcode but how do I get the crash reports which I can currently view on the Mac saved to a text file or are they already on the Mac someplace in the correct text format the Tutorial is expecting as a starting point?

How do other people handle crashes from TestFlight with regard to locating the problem line in the B4i source code?

I use Erel's server for the actual build.

Turbo3

Licensed User
Longtime User
No, don't know any way to download a crash report from TestFlight. The only access to TestFlight is through iTunesConnect and all you can see there is a count of crashes per TestFlight tester. iTunesConnect directs you to Xcode to actually see the report. The Xcode view-able report does have B4i module names but I don't see a way to get to the actual B4i line causing the problem. I will add a screen capture of one. Perhaps there is information there I am missing that would help point to the failing line.

Am I the only B4i user using TestFlight and wanting to use the crash report?

Upvote 0

Turbo3

Licensed User
Longtime User
Never mind. No need to do Symbolication. B4i provides all the files you need to use Xcode to find the failing line of code.

Now that I see what I needed to do it is so obvious.

You just unzip the Archive.zip downloaded from the server that you uploaded to iTunes when the app was released for testing. In the Archive are the B4iProject and B4iProject.xcodeproj which is what Xcode treats like any other xcode project.

When you view the crash log in Xcode there is a little arrow next to the failing modules. Click on that arrow and you are presented with a folder selector which you point to the B4iProject.xcodeproj file. That opens your B4i code as a project in Xcode with your B4i source lines as comments with B4i source line numbers added. The failing line is highlighted. So simple.

The is actually simpler than finding the failing line in Android as I have to find the file and open with a text viewer that shows line numbers then scroll down to find the failing line.

Last edited:
Upvote 0